No free TV coverage in Spain in 2016 – report

Feb.15 (GMM) Free-to-air television coverage of F1 throughout Spain has ended, according to the Spanish sports daily El Mundo Deportivo.

The report said the 2016 world championship can only be watched by Spaniards who subscribe to Movistar.

Reportedly, the terrestrial broadcaster Telecinco decided to stop its F1 coverage in 2008, as viewership dropped substantially in the years following Fernando Alonso’s two titles.

The coverage was picked up first by La Sexta and most recently Antena 3, but from 2016 the only way to watch F1 in Spain is to pay for a Movistar subscription.

Antena 3 is not the only free-to-air Spanish broadcaster to drop F1 ahead of the 2016 season, as the Catalunya regional channel TV3 has also not renewed its contract.

TV3 reportedly broadcast F1 throughout Catalonia for 19 consecutive seasons.

Related News

  • 10/08/2015 McLaren denies Vandoorne reports Aug.10 (GMM) McLaren has denied reports that an announcement about the Honda-powered team's driver plans for 2016 is now imminent. Media reports claimed the Woking outfit has decided to […]
  • 30/09/2016 Alonso recommends Sainz for McLaren future Sep.30 (GMM) Fernando Alonso says Carlos Sainz would be a good McLaren-Honda driver for the future. Stoffel Vandoorne is replacing F1 veteran Jenson Button next year, and Alonso is […]
  • 06/10/2017 Alonso not commenting on Catalonia issue Oct.6 (GMM) Fernando Alonso is refusing to weigh into the political turmoil in Spain. In his native country, an argument is raging between the region of Catalonia - which is seeking […]
  • 29/04/2017 Alonso admits 2018 team switch possible Apr.29 (GMM) Fernando Alonso says he is not willing to wait much longer for Honda to improve. McLaren headed into the Sochi weekend hopeful of better reliability, but a failure for […]
  • 05/04/2016 Vandoorne ‘the next Alonso’ – Boullier Apr.5 (GMM) Stoffel Vandoorne appears to have put his F1 career on the fast track after making an impressive race debut in Bahrain. Although Fernando Alonso says he is "99 per cent" sure […]
  • 25/09/2015 Alonso may leave F1 to find winning car – Briatore Sep.25 (GMM) If Fernando Alonso cannot return to having a winning car, he will seek it outside of formula one. That is the stark warning issued by Flavio Briatore, who signed up the […]
  • 08/05/2015 Alonso hits back after ‘dark and moody’ jibe May 8 (GMM) Fernando Alonso has hit back at former Ferrari boss Luca di Montezemolo's claim that the Spaniard was "dark and moody" last year. Although the Italian team's long-time […]
  • 13/07/2015 McLaren should be ruing title sponsor stance – source Jul.13 (GMM) McLaren's financial situation could be compounded by a lack of title sponsor, a report in the Sunday Times suggested. The struggling Honda-powered team is a distant ninth in […]
  • 02/03/2015 Alonso entourage suspects car failure – report Mar.2 (GMM) A second week has begun with the saga surrounding Fernando Alonso's testing crash still high in the headlines. The most important issue, of course, is the McLaren-Honda […]
  • 13/03/2015 Alonso mystery rolls on as Melbourne practice begins Mar.13 (GMM) As the cars begin to roar in Melbourne, the uncertainty about Fernando Alonso's return to action at McLaren-Honda remain. The Spaniard tweeted a 'selfie' showing off his […]