FIA doctors must green-light Alonso return

Mar.30 (GMM) Fernando Alonso will not be cleared to race in Bahrain this weekend until a meeting with FIA doctors on Thursday.

Following the Spaniard’s terrifying high-speed crash in Melbourne, Alonso hinted on social media that he has been unable to train this week due to the effects.

And a report in the Spanish sports daily Marca said that although the double world champion actually lives near Bahrain in Dubai, he returned home to Spain to recuperate near his family.

But McLaren announced late on Tuesday that Alonso will be in Bahrain.

“I’m very pleased to be heading to Bahrain after the crash in Australia,” he said. “I’ve spent some time resting and I can’t wait to get back in the car.”

However, Britain’s Sun newspaper said McLaren reserve Stoffel Vandoorne is heading to Bahrain on standby, with Alonso not yet technically cleared to race.

“As is always the case after a significant accident, Fernando will have a routine meeting with the FIA doctors in the formula one paddock on Thursday morning,” a team spokesman confirmed.

If cleared, Alonso will drive an all-new McLaren chassis and power unit in Bahrain, after the 46G impact in Melbourne that left a crack in his carbon seat.

“Yes, it (the seat) was cracked but not broken, but we will replace it anyway,” a McLaren spokesman said.

And Honda’s Yusuke Hasegawa added: “We will be replacing the complete power unit in Bahrain.”

Alonso, meanwhile, said: “There’s been a massive effort from the teams in Woking and Sakura who have been flat-out manufacturing parts for this race to ensure we can get back up to speed after the chassis was damaged.”

The other car involved in Alonso’s shunt was Esteban Gutierrez, and Haas has revealed that the Mexican will also have a new chassis for Bahrain.

“Some of the parts, for example the chassis, were sent back to Europe to be checked and fixed because we can’t do it onsite in Bahrain,” said team boss Gunther Steiner.

“We have enough spare parts to build up another chassis, so we will use that.”

Related News

  • 02/04/2016 McLaren angry with FIA over Alonso injuries – reports Apr.2 (GMM) Ron Dennis is reportedly angry with F1's governing body for not detecting the injuries that have sidelined Fernando Alonso in Bahrain. Just after his enormous Melbourne […]
  • 07/05/2015 Alonso wearing sunglasses for eye infection May 7 (GMM) Eyebrows were being raised on Thursday as Fernando Alonso refused to take his dark sunglasses off during the official FIA press conference. Earlier this week, on social […]
  • 14/04/2016 Alonso still waiting for green light Apr.14 (GMM) Fernando Alonso says he is still not pre-empting the FIA's decision over his participation in the Chinese grand prix. The Spaniard will shortly meet with doctors at the […]
  • 03/04/2016 Todt backs doctors amid Dennis’ frustration Apr.3 (GMM) FIA president Jean Todt has backed the decision to keep Fernando Alonso on the sidelines this weekend. McLaren supremo Ron Dennis on Saturday admitted his frustration after […]
  • 04/03/2015 Doctors ‘wise’ to sideline Alonso – Tambay Mar.4 (GMM) Fernando Alonso says he can "understand" why he has been sidelined for the Australian grand prix. McLaren on Tuesday announced that, on the advice of the Spaniard's doctors, […]
  • 07/04/2017 Alonso rules out quitting mid-season Apr.7 (GMM) Fernando Alonso has dismissed speculation he might quit McLaren-Honda mid-way through the 2017 season. His old friend Mark Webber - who is still regularly in the paddock as a […]
  • 25/03/2018 McLaren will challenge top 3 in 2018 – Alonso Mar.25 (GMM) Fernando Alonso says he is confident McLaren will eventually challenge the top three teams in 2018. However, as the British team began its new Renault-powered era in […]
  • 11/04/2016 McLaren ‘confident’ Alonso to race in China Apr.11 (GMM) McLaren is "confident" Fernando Alonso will be shown the green light for his return to racing action this weekend in China. With the McLaren-Honda driver sidelined in […]
  • 27/01/2017 Administrator says Manor to ‘close its doors’ Jan.28 (GMM) Only ten teams will make it to the grid as the 2017 season begins in Australia in March. There were hopes the backmarker Manor could exit administration if a buyer was found […]
  • 04/05/2015 Honda not giving up on podium in 2015 May 4 (GMM) Honda is not yet abandoning the idea of powering McLaren to the podium in 2015. Amid all the hype about the reunion of the ultra-successful names in formula one, […]