Kvyat ‘ready’ to fight for F1 title

Mar.14 (GMM) Daniil Kvyat on Monday said he feels ready to fight for the world championship.

The Red Bull driver’s former team boss, Toro Rosso chief Franz Tost, reportedly said recently that the 21-year-old Russian is now good enough to win a title.

“I thank Franz for these words,” Kvyat told the Russian news agency R-Sport on Monday.

“I spent a very good year with him together at Toro Rosso and we have a good relationship,” he explained.

“Under certain circumstances and under the right conditions, I am ready at any moment to fight for the title. For me it’s not a problem,” Kvyat insisted.

That is despite the fact the Red Bull-backed quartet in F1 – Kvyat, Daniel Ricciardo, Max Verstappen and Carlos Sainz – are on notice by Dr Helmut Marko to perform in 2016 or risk being ousted.

At the same time, the energy drink company’s premier team, Red Bull Racing, is playing down its chances for 2016, although Kvyat is confident.

“We have taken a step forward with the engine and the chassis, and I think we will be able to compete with the leaders at more races.

“Last season, only the slow tracks like Monaco, Hungary and Singapore were comfortable for us, but I think that will change now,” he said.

Indeed, in Hungary last year Kvyat raced to second place on the podium, and he is not ruling out his maiden win in 2016.

“If we can put all the factors together and do a perfect race, everything is possible,” he said.

Related News

  • 15/05/2015 Kvyat calm as pressure builds May 15 (GMM) Daniil Kvyat insists he is staying calm amid his troubled time in formula one. Before the 2015 season, the 21-year-old was a rising star of the sport, having earned […]
  • 26/07/2016 Kvyat set for Red Bull split – report Jul.26 (GMM) Red Bull does not intend to renew its contract with Toro Rosso driver Daniil Kvyat for 2017. That is the claim of the Russian news agency Izvestia, citing the information of […]
  • 02/07/2016 Red Bull, Kvyat, not ready to decide future Jul.2 (GMM) Daniil Kvyat has indicated he could be open to staying at Toro Rosso in 2017. After his shock demotion from Red Bull Racing, the disappointed Russian hinted he intended to […]
  • 06/10/2017 Sainz not planning for 2019 season yet Oct.6 (GMM) Carlos Sainz says he is not yet thinking about 2019. Actually, the Spaniard is set to switch from Toro Rosso to the Renault works team next year. But Red Bull is retaining […]
  • 21/08/2015 Tost says Kvyat best driver behind Vettel Aug.21 (GMM) Daniil Kvyat says he is happy to have been rated so highly by a former boss. In a recent magazine feature, Toro Rosso chief Franz Tost said the young Russian is the best […]
  • 06/10/2016 Kvyat to secure new two-year Red Bull deal – reports Oct.6 (GMM) Daniil Kvyat looks to have secured his future in formula one. That is despite the fact the young Russian has been through the mill in 2016, after losing his place with the […]
  • 15/06/2017 Red Bull drivers ‘cannot end contracts’ – Marko Jun.15 (GMM) Red Bull has control of the destinies of its F1 drivers. That is the claim of Dr Helmut Marko, the boss of the energy drink company's driver programme. At Red Bull Racing, […]
  • 29/10/2017 Tost, Sainz tip Kvyat to rebuild F1 career Oct.29 (GMM) Franz Tost and Carlos Sainz have tipped Daniil Kvyat to bounce back from his axe from the Red Bull programme. The young Russian quickly scaled the peak of the energy drink […]
  • 01/11/2017 Red Bull can wait for Ricciardo decision – Horner Nov.1 (GMM) Red Bull is prepared to wait for Daniel Ricciardo to make his decision about staying with the team beyond 2018. The energy drink company's premier F1 team has locked down Max […]
  • 09/07/2016 Kvyat not willing to predict Toro Rosso seat Jul.9 (GMM) Daniil Kvyat says he is still not in a position to predict his next step in formula one. Initially disappointed and angry to have been demoted by Red Bull, the energy drink's […]