Alonso finally recovered after Melbourne crash

Apr.29 (GMM) Fernando Alonso said he is finally back to “100 per cent” fitness, more than a month after his huge crash in Australia.

The Spaniard missed Bahrain and returned to action in China, but said in Russia for the fourth round of 2016 that only now is he no longer “taking any pills”.

“I have no aches and I’m training without any difficulty,” the McLaren-Honda driver, who injured his lung and fractured two ribs in Melbourne, told Spanish media.

“After China for a few days I had a strange feeling, but since then everything is fine,” Alonso added.

“The recovery process took longer than I expected — after Melbourne it was 42-43 days until I was 100 per cent, but that’s probably the way it should be.”

Meanwhile, Alonso’s manager Luis Garcia Abad said on Thursday that the 34-year-old is also happy with progress at McLaren-Honda, after the awful 2015 season.

“I sincerely believe that the path is correct,” he told Radio Marca. “Now I see the drivers satisfied when they get out of the car that big progress is being made. We are now less than a year behind.”

McLaren-Honda has expressed interest in retaining Alonso beyond the end of his contract next year, but manager Abad said: “We are in a quiet situation from the contractual side.

“We will see as things unfold what the next steps are, but the bottom line is that Fernando Alonso has been in Japan (with Honda) these last days, which is an unequivocal sign of a driver’s commitment,” he added.

Related News

  • 24/02/2015 Wind caused Alonso’s crash – McLaren Feb.24 (GMM) McLaren has hit back at the conspiracy theories about Fernando Alonso's testing crash on Sunday. With the Spaniard still in intensive care, the conspicuous delay in […]
  • 26/02/2015 Alonso could miss Melbourne season opener Feb.26 (GMM) Fernando Alonso's manager has sidestepped suggestions the Spaniard might have to sit out the Melbourne season opener. After four days in hospital, the 33-year-old is now […]
  • 24/02/2015 Alonso could sit out final winter test Feb.24 (GMM) Fernando Alonso may sit out the final test of the 2015 pre-season in the wake of his Barcelona crash. The Spaniard has already spent two nights in hospital recovering from […]
  • 21/06/2018 Alonso’s manager plays down Indycar talk Jun.21 (GMM) Fernando Alonso's manager has played down speculation the Spaniard is weighing up between formula one or Indycar for 2019. After winning Le Mans, the double world champion […]
  • 24/02/2015 Alonso does not remember crash – Briatore Feb.24 (GMM) Flavio Briatore says Fernando Alonso does not remember the crash that has left him in a Barcelona hospital. McLaren has denied wild conspiracy theories about the cause of […]
  • 16/04/2017 Wehrlein can still feel old back injury Apr.16 (GMM) Pascal Wehrlein says he can still feel the effects of his recent back injury. After missing Australia and China, the German returned to his Sauber in Bahrain and confirmed […]
  • 05/04/2017 Alonso to launch fashion brand Apr.5 (GMM) The signs are growing by the day that Fernando Alonso intends to stay in F1 beyond 2017. Earlier, before the much faster regulations for this year made their debut, the […]
  • 16/04/2015 Alonso in top shape for years to come – trainer Apr.16 (GMM) Fernando Alonso will be in top physical shape for years to come, according to his trainer. After his mysterious Barcelona testing crash and hospitalisation, the Spanish […]
  • 06/04/2016 ‘Best driver’ Alonso resumes training Apr.6 (GMM) Fernando Alonso has resumed training as he fights to be fit to return to the cockpit of his McLaren-Honda in China. On the Bahrain grid last Sunday, with Stoffel Vandoorne […]
  • 14/04/2017 Wehrlein hits back after injury speculation Apr.14 (GMM) Pascal Wehrlein has hit out at the media, as he returns from injury to contest this weekend's Bahrain grand prix. The German sat out both Australia and China following his […]