McLaren angry with FIA over Alonso injuries – reports

Apr.2 (GMM) Ron Dennis is reportedly angry with F1’s governing body for not detecting the injuries that have sidelined Fernando Alonso in Bahrain.

Just after his enormous Melbourne crash, the Spaniard was given a clean bill of health to take the long haul flight from Australia and commence his preparations for Bahrain.

But Alonso said that when he arrived home in Spain, “The pain was similar or a little bit more, so we decided to do a proper check — a CT scan.”

According to Spanish newspapers, Alonso was urged to get the checks done by his sister Lorena, who is a doctor.

The scan found not only rib fractures but also a small pneumothorax, or partially-collapsed lung.

He reportedly took those scans and a follow-up scan with him to Bahrain, where the FIA ruled out him out of contention for Bahrain and possibly also China.

Diario Sport, as well as other specialist Spanish publications, say the episode his angered the McLaren camp.

Dennis, the team supremo, met with Bernie Ecclestone and FIA doctor Jean-Charles Piette in Bahrain late on Friday, where a bid was made to reinstate Alonso for the race weekend even though Stoffel Vandoorne did the driving in practice.

“He (Alonso) has slept well and asked doctors to look at the possibility that he can resume physical activity,” the Spanish broadcaster Movistar declared.

The FIA turned down Alonso and McLaren’s request, but the reports say there are concerns the FIA should have been more thorough in its examinations of the 34-year-old driver.

Adding to Alonso’s pain is that McLaren-Honda looks surprisingly competitive in Bahrain, with Jenson Button declaring Friday was “our best day in two years” after going third quickest in practice.

“They seem to be very quick,” agrees Renault driver Jolyon Palmer.

Toro Rosso’s Max Verstappen agrees: “I saw Jenson when he was on a fast lap and I can say that the McLaren is very good in the first sector. It is obvious that they have made progress.”

And Daniel Ricciardo, of Red Bull, added: “Even if he was on 5 kilos of fuel, it was still a pretty decent laptime.”

Another surprise was the seemingly big gap between Mercedes and Ferrari on Friday, with Sebastian Vettel’s troubles compounded by a practice stoppage.

“I thought we’d be closer here,” the German admitted to Brazil’s Globo.

Teammate Kimi Raikkonen, however, is not giving up hope.

“You guys (the media) always look at laptimes, but we did our programme and everything worked. The times are one thing but what really matters is what happens tomorrow (Saturday).”

Related News

  • 03/04/2016 Todt backs doctors amid Dennis’ frustration Apr.3 (GMM) FIA president Jean Todt has backed the decision to keep Fernando Alonso on the sidelines this weekend. McLaren supremo Ron Dennis on Saturday admitted his frustration after […]
  • 04/05/2015 Alonso to reunite with Barcelona hospital team May 4 (GMM) Fernando Alonso will this week reunite with the medical team that nursed him back to health after his winter testing crash. Spain's El Mundo newspaper reports that the […]
  • 30/03/2016 FIA doctors must green-light Alonso return Mar.30 (GMM) Fernando Alonso will not be cleared to race in Bahrain this weekend until a meeting with FIA doctors on Thursday. Following the Spaniard's terrifying high-speed crash in […]
  • 06/05/2015 McLaren hits back at ‘critics’ in a hurry May 6 (GMM) McLaren has reacted "angrily" to claims it has failed to live up to the hype of its works Honda partnership. Ahead of the fifth race of 2015 in Spain, Britain's Times […]
  • 01/04/2016 Rivals surprised after Alonso sidelined Apr.1 (GMM) Fernando Alonso's rivals were surprised on Thursday when it emerged the Spaniard had been sidelined in Bahrain for medical reasons. "I said 'Wow'," admitted fellow F1 veteran […]
  • 24/03/2015 Hakkinen ‘expected more’ from Raikkonen Mar.24 (GMM) Mika Hakkinen says he was disappointed with the performance of his countryman Kimi Raikkonen in Australia. When he retired at the end of 2001, Hakkinen recommended McLaren […]
  • 31/03/2016 Alonso fails medical exam in Bahrain Mar.31 (GMM) Fernando Alonso will miss this weekend's Bahrain grand prix. Although the Spaniard made the trip to the island Kingdom in the wake of his horror crash in Melbourne, his […]
  • 07/04/2017 Alonso rules out quitting mid-season Apr.7 (GMM) Fernando Alonso has dismissed speculation he might quit McLaren-Honda mid-way through the 2017 season. His old friend Mark Webber - who is still regularly in the paddock as a […]
  • 25/03/2018 McLaren will challenge top 3 in 2018 – Alonso Mar.25 (GMM) Fernando Alonso says he is confident McLaren will eventually challenge the top three teams in 2018. However, as the British team began its new Renault-powered era in […]
  • 10/07/2015 Ron Dennis still believes in me – Magnussen Jul.10 (GMM) As he pushes to return to the grid, Kevin Magnussen hopes McLaren supremo Ron Dennis' effort pays off. In May, Dennis travelled to Magussen's native Denmark, where he made […]