Button, Hamilton say no to Indycar

May 19 (GMM) Two fellow champions have no intention of following Fernando Alonso into Indycar once their F1 careers end.

Two-time world champion Alonso told the Spanish press last month: “There are three competitions at the top of the legend of motor sport: Monaco, Le Mans and the Indianapolis 500.

“I know it’s difficult to win all three but it would be a great challenge.”

Alonso’s current teammate and the 2009 world champion Jenson Button, however, said of Indycar: “Too dangerous.”

And, also according to Auto Motor und Sport, reigning triple world champion Lewis Hamilton added: “When Nigel Mansell raced in 1993, the cars were skill cool. Today not.”

Related News

  • 13/04/2019 Hamilton doesn’t care about ‘triple crown’ Apr.13 (GMM) Lewis Hamilton insists he "couldn't care less" about the so-called triple crown. Fernando Alonso repopularised the triple crown achievement by declaring that he wants to add […]
  • 15/08/2018 Indycar, Nascar begin to woo retiring Alonso Aug.15 (GMM) Motor racing series have already begun lining up to attract Fernando Alonso for 2019. The Spaniard and McLaren have sensationally announced that Alonso, 37, is quitting […]
  • 26/05/2017 Alonso says no Indycar switch for 2018 May 26 (GMM) Fernando Alonso has played down speculation he could quit formula one and switch full-time to the American equivalent Indycar. The Spaniard is not in Monaco this weekend as […]
  • 14/09/2018 Alonso to announce 2019 plans next month Sep.14 (GMM) Fernando Alonso is still giving nothing away about his future. The Spaniard is definitely leaving F1 at the end of the year, but on the menu for 2019 could be Le Mans, […]
  • 25/02/2019 Hamilton has no interest in ‘triple crown’ Feb.25 (GMM) Lewis Hamilton says he has no interest in following Fernando Alonso's lead by targeting the so-called 'triple crown'. Now retired from F1, Alonso has already added Le Mans […]
  • 26/07/2015 F1 ‘not as exciting’ now – Alonso Jul.26 (GMM) Fernando Alonso was a hero of qualifying in Hungary, although he admitted formula one is "not as exciting" to him anymore. McLaren-Honda's nightmare 2015 continued on […]
  • 28/03/2015 Alonso role meant no Indycar for Magnussen Mar.28 (GMM) Kevin Magnussen has admitted he let an opportunity to race in Indycar this year slide when Fernando Alonso had his Barcelona testing crash. With McLaren-Honda preferring an […]
  • 28/05/2017 F1 career ‘already over’ – Button May 28 (GMM) Jenson Button has played down speculation he might be considering a full-time return to formula one. The 2009 world champion retired at the end of 2017, but he signed a […]
  • 27/05/2017 Button hints at Vandoorne future May 27 (GMM) With a single comment, Jenson Button has fired speculation of a full-time return to F1, and cast doubt on the future of Stoffel Vandoorne. The 'retired' 2009 world champion […]
  • 25/05/2017 No pressure for Button in Monaco – Kvyat May 25 (GMM) Daniil Kvyat says retired F1 driver Jenson Button is under no pressure this weekend at Monaco. Some have questioned the wisdom of Button's one-off return to replace Fernando […]