No Friday outings for Vandoorne – Boullier

May 15 (GMM) McLaren-Honda team boss Eric Boullier says there are no plans for Stoffel Vandoorne to be given Friday morning outings in 2016.

Another works team, Renault, is giving Sergey Sirotkin, Esteban Ocon and Nicholas Latifi the chance to drive the F1 car during grand prix weekends this year.

McLaren, meanwhile, has hopeful charger Vandoorne waiting in the wings, but he is keeping his driving wits sharp in 2016 by racing for a Honda-powered team in the Japanese open wheeler series Super Formula.

Asked if the 24-year-old will get a Friday morning outing in F1, McLaren chief Boullier answered: “No, it would be a waste of time.

“Frankly I don’t see the point,” the Frenchman told the Belgian newspaper La Derniere Heure. “He can learn enough by doing test days, like next Wednesday here.”

Boullier hinted in Barcelona that Vandoorne might be loaned to another team next year, but he also admitted that a race seat at McLaren for 2017 is a possibility.

“Our main objective is to put him in a car,” he said.

“McLaren is a possibility and of course he would be welcomed with open arms by the whole team. He really is part of the family now.”

That would imply that Jenson Button’s place is in doubt, but Boullier at least rejected the theory that while McLaren wants Vandoorne, Honda is in fact insisting that Button keep his place.

“Not at all, who said that?” Boullier quipped.

Asked when a decision about the 2017 lineup will be made, he added: “I will not answer. In fact, I don’t know myself.”

Related News

  • 15/08/2016 No new reserve driver for Renault Aug.15 (GMM) Renault says it will not appoint an official replacement for reserve driver Esteban Ocon. Ocon has been called up to make his F1 race debut from the forthcoming Belgian […]
  • 15/05/2016 No ‘negative pressure’ at Renault – Magnussen May 15 (GMM) Even though three young chargers are knocking on the door, Kevin Magnussen sounds secure in his race seat at Renault. So far in 2016, the Dane and his teammate Jolyon Palmer […]
  • 06/06/2018 Latifi targets F1 race seat for 2019 Jun.6 (GMM) Nicholas Latifi says he is targeting a formula one seat for 2019. The 22-year-old Canadian is currently Force India's reserve driver, and he will be in action on Friday […]
  • 20/05/2016 Renault doesn’t need ‘big name’ driver – Vasseur May 20 (GMM) Renault is open-minded about the composition of the driver lineup for its new works team beyond 2016, according to boss Frederic Vasseur. Having inherited Jolyon Palmer's […]
  • 20/05/2019 Kubica admits he wants ‘better results’ May 20 (GMM) Robert Kubica insists he does not regret returning to Formula 1. That is despite the fact that, just five races into his first season since sustaining permanent arm injuries […]
  • 21/05/2018 Latifi’s father linked with McLaren deal May 21 (GMM) The father of Force India reserve driver Nicholas Latifi is linked with a major deal at McLaren. Last week, Canadian 22-year-old Latifi tested for Force India in […]
  • 11/05/2019 Latifi could replace Kubica at Williams – report May 11 (GMM) The first rumours that Robert Kubica could be ousted by Williams have emerged. The Pole has struggled alongside George Russell on his return to F1 after an eight year […]
  • 03/08/2016 Wolff urges Renault to sign Ocon Aug.3 (GMM) Esteban Ocon looks set to be the next teenage charger to make his mark in formula one. Backed by Mercedes, the Frenchman is on loan to Renault this year as reserve and […]
  • 15/05/2019 Latifi admits eyeing F1 grid with Williams May 15 (GMM) Nicholas Latifi is not denying that he wants to get into Formula 1. The Canadian is Williams' reserve driver, and he has been promised some Friday practice outings in […]
  • 23/05/2018 McLaren denies link to Nicholas Latifi May 23 (GMM) McLaren has denied any link between its new shareholder and the career of a young Formula 2 driver. Michael Latifi, the father of Force India reserve Nicholas Latifi, has […]