Red Bull waiting to decide future with Renault

May 6 (GMM) Red Bull is waiting until Canada before turning its attention to the future of its deal with engine supplier Renault.

After a tumultuous semi-works relationship came to a head last year, the former world champion team agreed a one-year customer deal with Renault for 2016 involving the re-branding of the ‘power units’ as Tag-Heuer.

In the meantime, the French carmaker bought Lotus and is back at full works status this year, with Red Bull officials saying that renewed focus has resulted in a definite step forward as regards the quality of the engine.

Nonetheless, Red Bull is waiting for a further performance step from Renault – expected in Canada next month – before deciding if it wants to extend the deal into 2017.

“Before deciding on the future with Renault, we await their developments,” Dr Helmut Marko, a leading Red Bull official, told Italy’s La Gazzetta dello Sport.

“But for the moment we are very satisfied. It is a completely different situation than in 2015,” he added.

Related News

  • 11/05/2016 Ricciardo expects Red Bull-Renault to stay together May 11 (GMM) Daniel Ricciardo thinks it is "likely" Red Bull and Renault will stick together beyond this season. The parties ended their semi-works partnership amid acrimony last year, […]
  • 04/02/2016 Red Bull to get technical equality – Renault Feb.4 (GMM) Red Bull will enjoy the very same equipment as the Renault works team in 2016, the French carmaker has assured. Even though Red Bull has reverted to mere customer status for […]
  • 13/03/2015 Red Bull slams Renault in Australia Mar.13 (GMM) Red Bull has slammed its engine partner Renault, after a difficult start to the 2015 world championship campaign in Australia. Star driver Daniel Ricciardo could not run at […]
  • 07/06/2019 Gasly names and shames F1 journalist Jun.7 (GMM) Pierre Gasly has named and shamed a journalist that he says made up a 'silly season' story. Roberto Chinchero, who writes for motorsport.com, had written the story suggesting […]
  • 21/12/2018 Red Bull ‘hiding facts’ about Honda power – Abiteboul Dec.21 (GMM) Cyril Abiteboul has scoffed at Red Bull's optimism about life with Honda power. Abiteboul is the boss at Renault, where he was at the epicentre of the French manufacturer's […]
  • 19/11/2018 Prost ‘not unhappy’ Red Bull deal ending Nov.19 (GMM) Alain Prost says he is not sad that Renault's long collaboration with Red Bull is finally ending. The two parties achieved much success in formula one, but their […]
  • 13/02/2015 Renault not yet ‘exploring limits’ of 2015 engine Feb.13 (GMM) Renault has confirmed reports it did not hit full throttle at the recent Jerez test. Works team Red Bull evidently had a difficult start to the winter season, struggling for […]
  • 10/06/2019 Father ‘retweets’ article about Verstappen leaving Red Bull Jun.10 (GMM) Max Verstappen's father has 'retweeted' a news article about the Dutchman potentially leaving Red Bull. On Sunday, we reported Dr Helmut Marko's quote in La Gazzetta dello […]
  • 18/06/2015 Renault situation costing Red Bull millions – Marko Jun.18 (GMM) Red Bull's slide down the constructors' championship table is also hurting the team in the hip pocket. That is the claim of Dr Helmut Marko, the Red Bull official who this […]
  • 05/02/2016 Renault not surprised by Marko comments Feb.5 (GMM) Renault says it is not surprised by comments made recently by Dr Helmut Marko. After a long period of tension between Red Bull and its engine supplier, they will effectively […]