Verstappen still on track after bad Monaco

May 31 (GMM) Max Verstappen’s impressive F1 career is still on track despite a less-than-impressive showing in Monaco, his new boss Christian Horner insists.

Just a fortnight after stunning the F1 world and drawing comparisons with Senna or Schumacher by winning in Barcelona, the 18-year-old Dutchman crashed not only in qualifying but also during the race in Monaco last weekend.

But Red Bull team boss Horner said Verstappen was having a good race through the field until he made a mistake and hit the wall.

“He wasn’t the only one to be caught out, but it’s been a very contrasting weekend for him compared to two weeks ago,” Horner admitted.

“It’s all part of the learning curve that he’s on and I think that the trajectory that you can see is still extremely impressive. I only think that he’s going to learn and we won’t see him make the same mistakes next year,” he added.

Horner said Verstappen had apologised to the team and will use the experience of Monaco – where he also crashed in his Toro Rosso a year ago – to keep learning.

“He’s a bright, intelligent character and I think he’ll take on board what has happened this weekend and he’ll definitely move forward and learn from it,” said Horner.

Related News

  • 27/05/2018 Verstappen needs new ‘brain’ – Lauda May 27 (GMM) F1 experts say Max Verstappen needs a change of approach if he is to succeed. The Dutchman missed qualifying at Monaco after a practice crash -- yet another crucial mistake […]
  • 05/05/2016 Kvyat, Verstappen to swap seats for Barcelona May 5 (GMM) Red Bull Racing has ousted Daniil Kvyat and replaced him with Max Verstappen ahead of the Spanish grand prix next weekend. F1today.net, a Dutch website, had cited 'various […]
  • 22/05/2015 Verstappen steals the show in Monaco May 22 (GMM) Max Verstappen is threatening to steal the show in Monaco. Already hailed by mentor Dr Helmut Marko as a 'new Senna', the 17-year-old sensation appeared to fulfil that […]
  • 06/12/2018 Horner sad to farewell Ricciardo Dec.6 (GMM) Christian Horner admits he is sad that Daniel Ricciardo has left Red Bull. The team boss said Australian Ricciardo alongside Max Verstappen was "the best duo in the history" […]
  • 16/07/2015 Kvyat ‘absolutely’ delivering for Red Bull Jul.16 (GMM) Daniil Kvyat appears to have secured his place at Red Bull Racing for now. Earlier, the young Russian seemed to be under pressure from the energy drink stable's latest F1 […]
  • 07/05/2015 Second chance likely for struggling Kvyat May 7 (GMM) Daniil Kvyat looks set to be given a second chance to shine at Red Bull. After his meteoric debut at the mere age of 19 for the junior team Toro Rosso last year, the […]
  • 01/06/2018 Ricciardo better than Verstappen – Villeneuve Jun.1 (GMM) Daniel Ricciardo is a better driver than his Red Bull teammate Max Verstappen. That is the claim of Jacques Villeneuve, the always outspoken 1997 world champion. Verstappen, […]
  • 21/09/2017 Sainz can race for Red Bull in 2019 – report Sep.21 (GMM) Carlos Sainz could wind up at Red Bull's senior F1 team in 2019. It is already known that the Spaniard will move from the energy drink company's junior team, Toro Rosso, to […]
  • 30/09/2018 Ticktum not ready for Toro Rosso – Tost Sep.30 (GMM) Toro Rosso has ruled Dan Ticktum out of the running for the second Toro Rosso seat alongside Daniil Kvyat for 2019. Ticktum, a 19-year-old Briton, is a title contender in […]
  • 29/09/2018 Kvyat return now set for Saturday Sep.29 (GMM) Daniil Kvyat's return to formula one with Toro Rosso next year will be announced on Saturday. Earlier, it was reported that the Russian's 2019 contract will be unveiled on […]