Jun.20 (GMM) Carlos Sainz looks set to stay at Toro Rosso for a third consecutive season in 2017.
Amid rumours of interest from Ferrari and Renault, it is believed Red Bull has decided to take up an option on the Spaniard’s contract that will keep him at the Faenza based junior team next year.
Red Bull team boss Christian Horner indicated an announcement may be made “in the next few days”.
On the morning of Sunday’s race in Baku, Toro Rosso chief Franz Tost was asked about whether Sainz is staying for 2017 and he answered that it was Red Bull’s decision.
“I’m comfortable at Toro Rosso,” 21-year-old Sainz told Spanish television, “but we need to take a step forward to stop things like today from happening if we want to fight for fifth place in the constructors’ championship.”
He is referring not only to suspension problems that affected both himself and teammate Daniil Kvyat, but a range of issues for Toro Rosso at Baku.
“We had three very good races and for this weekend, for one reason or another, things did not go so well, but that doesn’t mean Austria will not be different,” said Sainz.
“It has not been my best weekend but the team has been doing a good job,” he added.
As for the rumours he is being retained by Red Bull for Toro Rosso in 2017, he responded: “Let the ones who will take the decisions do so. I have no choice but to wait while I continue doing everything I can from my side.
“Then we’ll see that in the end we have an agreement or not,” he said.
The team Toro Rosso is fighting against for fifth overall is Force India, whose Sergio Perez has been on the podium two times in the past three races.
“The truth is that Force India seems to be on another level, but we will keep fighting and learning,” said Sainz.
17/07/2017 Red Bull to consider Sainz release – Horner Jul.17 (GMM) Red Bull chiefs and Carlos Sainz have hit back at suggestions the Spanish driver will switch to Renault ahead of the forthcoming Hungarian GP. It is claimed Renault wants to […]
08/07/2017 Sainz hits back after Red Bull rebuke Jul.8 (GMM) Carlos Sainz says he will talk to Helmut Marko, Christian Horner and Franz Tost, after being slammed by his Red Bull bosses in Austria. Earlier, amid rumours he has been […]
19/04/2017 Red Bull not letting Sainz go – Horner Apr.19 (GMM) Christian Horner says Red Bull does not intend to release Carlos Sainz from his contract. Last year, the impressive Toro Rosso driver was linked with a move to Renault, but […]
09/11/2017 Sainz fends off 2019 Red Bull switch rumours Nov.9 (GMM) Carlos Sainz has batted away rumours his stay at Renault could be fleeting. The Spaniard has moved from the Red Bull family to the works Renault team, as part of the complex […]
02/04/2015 Marko says Toro Rosso sale not likely Apr.2 (GMM) Red Bull has played down reports Renault is set to buy Toro Rosso -- and leave the former world champions without an engine deal. Toro Rosso chief Franz Tost said in […]
04/07/2016 Rumours still swirling around Sainz future Jul.4 (GMM) Even though team owner Red Bull has taken up its option on Toro Rosso driver Carlos Sainz, rumours continue to swirl around the impressive young Spaniard. Formerly comparable […]
09/06/2017 Sainz happy to hear Ferrari rumours Jun.9 (GMM) Carlos Sainz says he is still hoping for a future with Red Bull, despite rumours he might be on Ferrari's wish list for 2018. When told about those Ferrari rumours by Sky […]
23/06/2015 Horner denies Berger to replace him Jun.23 (GMM) Christian Horner has hit back at rumours he is set to be ousted at Red Bull. British newspapers report that paddock speculation in Austria had suggested owner Dietrich […]