Jun.1 (GMM) Jacques Villeneuve has slammed F1’s race director for starting the ‘jewel in the crown’ Monaco race last Sunday behind the safety car.
The 1997 world champion said it was “ridiculous” that just because it was raining in the Principality for the race start, the normal grid start was called off and the drivers did seven laps behind the safety car.
“Seven laps behind the safety car — that’s ridiculous,” Villeneuve, the 11-time grand prix winner who is now a pundit for Italian television, told the German-language Motorsport-Magazin.com.
“These are not tourists, they are the best paid drivers in the world.
“Formula one is already losing fans and things like this do not help at all because it makes the drivers look not like gladiators but weaklings,” the French Canadian charged.
45-year-old Villeneuve admitted that racing in the rain on a street circuit like Monaco is dangerous, but what happened on Sunday was not the right look for F1.
“It’s risky but they’re professionals,” he said. “Let them start, or change the rules so that we never start in the rain.”
10/03/2017 Villeneuve happy with ‘new’ F1 Mar.10 (GMM) F1 purist Jacques Villeneuve says he is happy with what he is seeing at the Barcelona test. The 1997 world champion was one of the fiercest critics of the former technical […]
09/06/2016 ‘Sober’ F1 no longer ‘excessive’ – Villeneuve Jun.9 (GMM) Jacques Villeneuve prefers the "excessive" F1 of the past, compared to today's "sober" equivalent. "It's not boring," said the 1997 world champion, "but it's not the […]
09/11/2016 Rosberg has not won title yet – Villeneuve Nov.9 (GMM) Nico Rosberg does not yet have the 2016 title in the bag, according to former world champion Jacques Villeneuve. German Rosberg is, however, within striking distance of […]
21/12/2018 ‘Nobody in F1 watches Formula E’ – Villeneuve Dec.21 (GMM) Jacques Villeneuve is not excited about the future of Formula E. The 1997 world champion did a couple of races with the then-burgeoning all-electric single seater category, […]
06/04/2018 Stroll hits back after Villeneuve comments Apr.6 (GMM) Lance Stroll says he remains unfazed by Jacques Villeneuve's constant criticisms. After fellow French Canadian Stroll made his 2017 debut, 1997 world champion Villeneuve said […]
29/05/2016 Wolff excuses Hamilton for bad mood in Monaco May 29 (GMM) Toto Wolff says Lewis Hamilton's bad mood on Saturday was understandable. Reporters said the reigning world champion - usually calm and chirpy in 2016 - was obviously […]
04/05/2017 Alonso at Indy 500 ‘unfortunate’ – Carey May 4 (GMM) Chase Carey has admitted he would prefer if Fernando Alonso was preparing for next month's Monaco grand prix. Actually, the Spaniard is sitting out F1's 'jewel in the crown' […]
05/05/2017 Villeneuve ‘surprised’ by Ferrari in 2017 May 5 (GMM) Jacques Villeneuve says he is surprised by Ferrari's form so far this year. After three years of utter Mercedes dominance, Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel is leading the world […]
24/07/2017 Villeneuve confirms Williams spat Jul.24 (GMM) Jacques Villeneuve has confirmed his spat with his former F1 team Williams. We reported last week that the 1997 world champion, who now works as a pundit for Italian […]