FIA says Aeroscreen not scrapped yet

Jul.4 (GMM) Ferrari will try again to debut the updated ‘Halo 2’ cockpit protection this weekend ahead of the British grand prix.

The Maranello team intended to run the revised, titanium technology with a modified cockpit position over an installation lap in Friday practice in Austria, but Sebastian Vettel’s car developed a technical problem and the Halo run was aborted.

But it is now believed that ‘Halo 2’ will make its appearance this Friday at Silverstone.

It comes after the FIA shelved for now the rival, Red Bull-devised ‘Aeroscreen’ concept, with Red Bull saying it did not have the time or resources at the moment to do necessary developments.

That was bad news for some people, who believe that the open-topped, windshield-like device is more aesthetically appealing than Halo.

“This is about safety, not beauty,” Australian Daniel Ricciardo is quoted by Speed Week, “but I have always said that the windshield solution looks better than Halo.

“I think it would be a real shame if that project was stopped.”

The FIA’s safety chief Laurent Mekies, however, said Aeroscreen has simply been put on the back burner.

“Development of the Aeroscreen is frozen only for 2017,” he reportedly said.

“We had a deadline and would have struggled to get two different concepts ready in time. But when we have finished the Halo, I am sure that we will then look at Aeroscreen very closely again,” Mekies added.

Related News

  • 02/07/2016 FIA did Halo extraction test in Austria Jul.2 (GMM) Despite some early fanfare in Austria, problems on Sebastian Vettel's Ferrari meant the titanium 'Halo 2' did not make its practice debut on Friday. But the FIA has been […]
  • 11/03/2016 ‘Halo’ decision must be made soon – FIA Mar.11 (GMM) Time is running short for F1 to introduce better cockpit protection for 2017. The FIA is pushing to put the controversial 'halo' on the cars next year, with Ferrari […]
  • 03/03/2016 Red Bull to test F1 cockpit canopy in April Mar.3 (GMM) Red Bull will test its own proposed solution to the issue of cockpit protection later this month. On Thursday, Ferrari surprised the F1 world when Kimi Raikkonen emerged from […]
  • 07/07/2017 Vettel denies ‘oil in fuel’ story hurt Ferrari Jul.7 (GMM) Valtteri Bottas says he is not ready to declare that Mercedes has definitely raced ahead in the 2017 championship battle. After Sebastian Vettel's Monaco win, Ferrari […]
  • 30/06/2016 Titanium ‘Halo 2’ to make Friday test debut Jun.30 (GMM) The development of 'Halo' is entering its decisive phase, with an updated version to make its debut in practice this weekend in Austria. The running of the controversial […]
  • 01/06/2016 F1 right to trade sexy for ‘safety’ – Magnussen Jun.1 (GMM) F1 must defer to "safety" over "sexy" when it comes to preventing more deaths, according to Kevin Magnussen. It emerged after a meeting in Monaco last week that the sport has […]
  • 09/07/2019 Ricciardo rules out replacing Vettel Jul.9 (GMM) Daniel Ricciardo has ruled out replacing Sebastian Vettel at Ferrari. Currently, although Mattia Binotto says Vettel and Charles Leclerc are staying in 2020, there are […]
  • 20/07/2017 FIA mandates ‘Halo’ for 2018 Jul.20 (GMM) The controversial frontal protection concept called 'Halo' will make its mandatory debut on all formula one cars next year. After Silverstone practice, Sebastian Vettel said […]
  • 14/07/2017 Vettel keeps open mind about ‘Shield’ Jul.14 (GMM) Sebastian Vettel was keeping an open mind before giving the 'Shield' cockpit protection design its track debut at Silverstone. The German's Ferrari has been fitted with the […]
  • 28/05/2016 F1 decides on ‘halo’ for 2017 May 28 (GMM) F1 cars will reportedly be fitted with a further development of the 'halo' cockpit protection system in 2017. Germany's Auto Motor und Sport said the decision was taken by […]