Mercedes eyes ‘next generation’ after Rosberg

Jul.22 (GMM) Mercedes could be ready to look to the “next generation” of drivers by the time Nico Rosberg’s new two-year deal ends.

That was the claim on Friday of Toto Wolff, as he played down claims Mercedes may have made a mistake by setting up both Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton’s deals to both expire at the end of 2018.

“No, we try to look on the positive side,” team boss Wolff told German broadcaster Sky from Hungary.

“On the one hand you can say that we can lose both drivers at the same time, but on second thoughts it as an interesting possibility that opens up several options for us.

“Two years is anyway a long time in formula one, since there are results every weekend. On the other hand we must look towards the next generation.

“At the moment we have two of the best drivers. But what comes after that is not entirely clear,” Wolff added.

Clearly, Wolff is making a reference to Pascal Wehrlein and Mercedes’ other young charger, Esteban Ocon, who is currently on loan to Renault.

“Nico didn’t want a longer contract,” Wolff insisted. “We agreed that from the outset.

“He is at the height of his powers. We also don’t know what happens with the next generation.

“Some very good guys are developing but it is still too early to say whether they will be able to drive on that (Rosberg’s) level, so for us the two years contract period is just right,” he added.

Related News

  • 03/08/2016 Wolff urges Renault to sign Ocon Aug.3 (GMM) Esteban Ocon looks set to be the next teenage charger to make his mark in formula one. Backed by Mercedes, the Frenchman is on loan to Renault this year as reserve and […]
  • 19/05/2016 Wehrlein pushing to advance F1 career May 19 (GMM) Pascal Wehrlein says he was more than happy to step in at the last minute and test the championship-leading Mercedes on Wednesday. The German marque turned heads early on […]
  • 16/02/2016 Wehrlein, Ocon to share Mercedes reserve role Feb.16 (GMM) Pascal Wehrlein and Esteban Ocon will share the role as Mercedes' reserve driver in 2016. Last year, as he charged towards the DTM title, it was Wehrlein who would have […]
  • 25/02/2019 Leclerc a ‘luxury problem’ for Ferrari – Wolff Feb.25 (GMM) Toto Wolff thinks two strong drivers is a "luxury problem" for Mercedes' key F1 rival Ferrari. Some believe Ferrari could struggle to manage its drivers now that Sebastian […]
  • 28/08/2016 Wolff plays down Vandoorne comments Aug.28 (GMM) Toto Wolff has played down suggestions he is about to snap up McLaren's Stoffel Vandoorne. The Mercedes boss caused a stir at Spa by reportedly telling the Belgian newspaper […]
  • 12/12/2017 Wolff denies Mercedes eyeing Ocon for 2019 Dec.12 (GMM) Toto Wolff has played down claims Mercedes is already eyeing Valtteri Bottas' 2019 replacement. Despite a solid start to his first year in silver and securing a new deal for […]
  • 10/06/2016 Rosberg contract talks about Mercedes ‘strategy’ Jun.10 (GMM) The first sign of trouble in Nico Rosberg's negotiations with Mercedes has emerged. Earlier, both the German outfit and the 2016 championship leader have indicated they are […]
  • 29/06/2019 No Mercedes driver decision until summer break Jun.29 (GMM) Toto Wolff says Mercedes will think about its 2020 driver lineup after the summer break. Lewis Hamilton is staying, but there is a big question mark about the identity of […]
  • 08/08/2019 Wolff would help Bottas find alternative F1 seat Aug.8 (GMM) Toto Wolff says he would help Valtteri Bottas find a new seat in 2020 if Mercedes lets the Finn go. The Mercedes boss says he will use the August break to decide between […]
  • 19/12/2016 Wehrlein more ‘risky’ than Bottas – Rosberg Dec.19 (GMM) Nico Rosberg says Mercedes should consider taking the "risk" of signing up German youngster Pascal Wehrlein to replace him for 2017. The German team will use the full […]