No new reserve driver for Renault

Aug.15 (GMM) Renault says it will not appoint an official replacement for reserve driver Esteban Ocon.

Ocon has been called up to make his F1 race debut from the forthcoming Belgian grand prix and beyond, replacing Manor’s out-of-funds Rio Haryanto.

“It is an outstanding opportunity for Esteban to gather mileage and race experience in a young, stable and very professional team,” said Renault’s Cyril Abiteboul.

Renault will clearly take the opportunity to assess Ocon’s potential with a view to a race cockpit for 2017.

But what about 2016? Ocon was on loan from Mercedes as Renault’s official reserve driver – so will the French marque now appoint a replacement?

“We won’t be naming another third driver,” Renault declared. “One of our lucky drivers already under contract will get the call if needed!”

Renault is referring to 20-year-old Canadian Nicholas Latifi, and the GP2 series leader and Russian Sergey Sirotkin.

Related News

  • 15/05/2016 No Friday outings for Vandoorne – Boullier May 15 (GMM) McLaren-Honda team boss Eric Boullier says there are no plans for Stoffel Vandoorne to be given Friday morning outings in 2016. Another works team, Renault, is giving Sergey […]
  • 20/05/2016 Renault doesn’t need ‘big name’ driver – Vasseur May 20 (GMM) Renault is open-minded about the composition of the driver lineup for its new works team beyond 2016, according to boss Frederic Vasseur. Having inherited Jolyon Palmer's […]
  • 06/06/2018 Latifi targets F1 race seat for 2019 Jun.6 (GMM) Nicholas Latifi says he is targeting a formula one seat for 2019. The 22-year-old Canadian is currently Force India's reserve driver, and he will be in action on Friday […]
  • 15/05/2016 No ‘negative pressure’ at Renault – Magnussen May 15 (GMM) Even though three young chargers are knocking on the door, Kevin Magnussen sounds secure in his race seat at Renault. So far in 2016, the Dane and his teammate Jolyon Palmer […]
  • 14/05/2016 Magnussen quiet over Renault’s young drivers May 14 (GMM) Kevin Magnussen says he is not sure what Renault has in mind with its growing list of young test drivers. So far in 2016, Russian Sergey Sirotkin and Frenchman Esteban Ocon […]
  • 10/08/2016 Ocon poised to replace Haryanto – report Aug.10 (GMM) Esteban Ocon appears set to emerge from the summer break as F1's newest teenage rookie. Auto Hebdo, a French magazine, claims the Mercedes-backed 19-year-old has got the […]
  • 03/08/2016 Wolff urges Renault to sign Ocon Aug.3 (GMM) Esteban Ocon looks set to be the next teenage charger to make his mark in formula one. Backed by Mercedes, the Frenchman is on loan to Renault this year as reserve and […]
  • 02/08/2016 Haryanto pushing hard for Spa backing Aug.2 (GMM) Rio Haryanto says his management will not be resting during F1's summer break. At present, the Indonesian may not return to the cockpit of his Manor at Spa later this month, […]
  • 28/07/2018 Abiteboul admits Renault could sign Ocon Jul.28 (GMM) Cyril Abiteboul has admitted that Renault could swap Carlos Sainz for Esteban Ocon in 2019. The French team has been saying all year that it is happy with Sainz, who is 'on […]
  • 21/05/2018 Latifi’s father linked with McLaren deal May 21 (GMM) The father of Force India reserve driver Nicholas Latifi is linked with a major deal at McLaren. Last week, Canadian 22-year-old Latifi tested for Force India in […]