Sainz impressed with McLaren progress

Aug.26 (GMM) Carlos Sainz says he has been impressed with the progress being made by McLaren-Honda.

After a shocking 2015, the new Anglo-Japanese collaboration has been making gradual progress this year and has arrived at Spa with a new Honda engine that will benefit from a full 7 tokens of performance upgrades.

“They are almost the fourth car already and if their development works, they could be the surprise of the end of the season,” Toro Rosso driver Sainz said.

“Great news for him and bad for us,” the Spaniard, referring to his countryman and friend Fernando Alonso, is quoted by the Spanish daily Marca.

Indeed, McLaren is seventh in the constructors’ championship but just 3 points behind Toro Rosso. Losing sixth would cost “important money for Toro Rosso”, Sainz admitted.

Related News

  • 20/03/2017 McLaren engine switch rumours hard to believe – Sainz Mar.20 (GMM) Carlos Sainz says he cannot imagine McLaren deciding to dump Honda and switch to customer Mercedes engine power in the near future. Last week, the beleaguered British team […]
  • 26/09/2016 Honda eyes second F1 team for 2018 Sep.26 (GMM) Honda has indicated it is inching towards being ready to supply more teams with engines in formula one. Until now, McLaren has been unwilling to budge on its apparent […]
  • 03/09/2015 Alonso ‘unhappy’ but ‘motivated’ – Sainz Sep.3 (GMM) Carlos Sainz, the Spanish rookie who claims Fernando Alonso as a mentor, says the McLaren driver and double world champion is "unhappy" in 2016. Officially, Alonso has been […]
  • 13/09/2017 Sainz still waiting for news about future Sep.13 (GMM) Carlos Sainz says he is still waiting for news about his future in F1. Widespread reports say the Spaniard is definitely heading from Toro Rosso to the works Renault team […]
  • 22/08/2015 Honda’s hopes collapse as Alonso targets 107pc Aug.22 (GMM) Fernando Alonso insists he is not distraught, even though a highly-touted Honda engine upgrade appeared not to have pushed McLaren up the pecking order. Honda chief Yasuhisa […]
  • 16/10/2017 McLaren needs time to catch Red Bull – Boullier Oct.16 (GMM) McLaren will need some time to catch up with the top Renault-powered team in F1. That is the claim of boss Eric Boullier, as the British team prepares to switch from Honda […]
  • 14/05/2017 ‘Nine or ten races’ to keep Alonso – Brown May 14 (GMM) Zak Brown has admitting time is running out to convince Fernando Alonso to stick with McLaren beyond 2017. With his three-year McLaren-Honda contract expiring, Spaniard […]
  • 04/02/2016 Ghosn wants Renault return for Alonso Feb.4 (GMM) Carlos Ghosn on Wednesday did not hide that enticing Fernando Alonso back to the new works Renault team is an objective. "Would I like to sign Alonso? For sure," he told the […]
  • 20/07/2015 Alonso not guilty of ‘bad decisions’ – Sainz Jul.20 (GMM) Carlos Sainz has defended his countryman and mentor Fernando Alonso, amid claims 'bad decisions' have marred the Spaniard's F1 career. Like many of his peers, rookie Sainz […]
  • 26/02/2016 Boss Key denies Toro Rosso testing 2015 car Feb.26 (GMM) James Key on Thursday clarified reports that Toro Rosso did not take its 2016 car to the first Barcelona test. Carlos Sainz had been quoted as saying that, amid the Faenza […]