Gasly ‘cannot understand’ Kvyat decision

Oct.24 (GMM) Pierre Gasly has admitted he “cannot understand” why Red Bull overlooked him for a Toro Rosso seat for 2017.

While Daniil Kvyat’s future has looked bleak at times this year, the energy drink camp has decided to keep both of Toro Rosso’s current drivers on board for next year.

Behind Antonio Giovinazzi in the GP2 standings, French 20-year-old Gasly is now the cream of Red Bull’s young driver programme but he has an up and down 2016 campaign.

Indeed, when explaining Kvyat’s new deal, Christian Horner indicated that Red Bull is now having to look ahead for the next wave of young talent.

“We are looking at the 13 and 14 year olds,” he said, “because otherwise there’s not much there.”

But Gasly told French television Canal Plus that he “cannot understand” Red Bull’s decision.

“I talked a lot with Helmut (Marko) on Friday,” Gasly said in Austin.

“He made it clear that things were moving in the wrong direction, but it was a complete surprise to me.

“On Saturday morning he told me about Kvyat, but honestly I cannot understand this decision. Especially as I had a long talk with Helmut but he did not explain to me the reason.

“Now we must continue to look ahead and explore other options, but I will prove to them that they made the wrong decision,” Gasly added.

Related News

  • 27/10/2016 Gasly to be reserve driver in 2017 – Marko Oct.27 (GMM) Pierre Gasly will remain a part of Red Bull's F1 programme in 2017. That is the news from Dr Helmut Marko, who is in charge of the energy drink company's high profile and […]
  • 05/02/2019 Gasly ‘under scrutiny’ in 2019 – Marko Feb.5 (GMM) Pierre Gasly has Red Bull's full support, but he must perform if he wants to keep his race seat at the senior F1 team. That is the warning of Dr Helmut Marko, who runs Red […]
  • 05/09/2018 Ten drivers on Toro Rosso ‘long list’ for 2019 Sep.5 (GMM) Dr Helmut Marko says he is putting together a "long list" of potential Toro Rosso drivers for 2019. Pierre Gasly is being promoted to Red Bull Racing, while Brendon Hartley […]
  • 14/04/2015 Horner plays down Red Bull quit threat Apr.14 (GMM) Christian Horner is now playing down Red Bull's F1 quit threat. Earlier, directing their anger at engine supplier Renault, the energy drink company's mogul Dietrich […]
  • 23/06/2016 Red Bull could sell Sainz deal to Renault – report Jun.23 (GMM) There could be more than meets the eye to the re-signing by Red Bull of Carlos Sainz for 2017. Reports in recent days, backed by comments by Toro Rosso chief Franz Tost and […]
  • 29/04/2017 Officials hint Kvyat staying at Toro Rosso Apr.29 (GMM) Daniil Kvyat stands a chance of keeping his Toro Rosso seat beyond 2017. That is the claim of Red Bull officials Dr Helmut Marko and Christian Horner, as the young Russian […]
  • 23/06/2016 Marko says Kvyat could stay at Toro Rosso Jun.23 (GMM) Dr Helmut Marko has suggested Daniil Kvyat stands a strong chance of keeping his place at Toro Rosso beyond the end of 2016. After the 22-year-old Russian was dropped from […]
  • 26/07/2016 Kvyat set for Red Bull split – report Jul.26 (GMM) Red Bull does not intend to renew its contract with Toro Rosso driver Daniil Kvyat for 2017. That is the claim of the Russian news agency Izvestia, citing the information of […]
  • 09/07/2016 Kvyat not willing to predict Toro Rosso seat Jul.9 (GMM) Daniil Kvyat says he is still not in a position to predict his next step in formula one. Initially disappointed and angry to have been demoted by Red Bull, the energy drink's […]
  • 01/09/2018 Kvyat in frame for 2019 return – Horner Sep.1 (GMM) Daniil Kvyat is back in the running for a seat at Toro Rosso. With Pierre Gasly moving to Red Bull Racing, the energy drink company is looking for a replacement but is so far […]