German GP not secure for 2017 – Ecclestone

Oct.31 (GMM) Bernie Ecclestone says there is still no guarantee there will be a German grand prix in 2017.

After Germany’s return to the calendar this year at Hockenheim, the circuit has been allocated a mere provisional date for the 2017 schedule.

That is because next year is actually the Nurburgring’s turn to host the race, but that German circuit has been unable to fulfil its contract.

“Hockenheim is not yet certain for next year,” F1 supremo Ecclestone told Bild newspaper in Mexico.

“If they are not willing to pay the money that the other promoters in Europe also pay, a race in Germany will be almost impossible,” he insisted.

Hockenheim chief Georg Seiler has said previously he is open to signing a 2017 contract, but only on the condition that the track would not record a loss.

There have also been rumours Hockenheim could split the promotional responsibilities with Ecclestone, to make up the few million Euro the track is not willing to pay.

Seiler told Bild: “At the moment I can’t say anything.”

Related News

  • 10/05/2017 Hockenheim admits German GP future not safe May 10 (GMM) Hockenheim boss Georg Seiler admits the future of the German grand prix is not secure beyond next year. Amid the Nurburgring's troubles, the country is not on the calendar […]
  • 31/07/2015 Hockenheim cuts ticket prices for 2016 return Jul.31 (GMM) Hockenheim has cut ticket prices as it bids to secure the future of formula one in Germany. Amid the Nurburgring's financial troubles, Germany was absent from the F1 […]
  • 28/07/2016 Ecclestone ‘not indifferent’ to Monza, Hockenheim Jul.28 (GMM) The long and protracted saga over the future of the Italian grand prix may finally be at an end. The authoritative Italian daily La Gazzetta dello Sport reports that, […]
  • 29/06/2016 Hockenheim admits German GP future in doubt Jun.29 (GMM) Hockenheim promoter Georg Seiler this week admitted Bernie Ecclestone is right that Germany might once again be absent from the F1 calendar in 2017. The good news for fans […]
  • 20/03/2015 German GP ‘dead’ as circuits pull out Mar.20 (GMM) Germany's other F1 circuit has joined Hockenheim in pulling out of the running to host the scheduled July 19 race. Earlier this week, Hockenheim chief Georg Seiler told Bild […]
  • 11/05/2015 Hockenheim not ‘bad guys’ after German GP axe May 11 (GMM) The sorry saga of the now-axed 2015 German grand prix has nothing to do with Hockenheim. That is the claim of circuit chief Georg Seiler, after some F1 fans and even […]
  • 10/05/2015 2016 German GP return ‘1,000pc safe’ – Hockenheim May 10 (GMM) Hockenheim's boss says he is "1,000 per cent" sure the German grand prix will return in 2016. After failing to rescue this year's event, Bernie Ecclestone said recently […]
  • 25/01/2017 Liberty era future brighter for German GP Jan.25 (GMM) F1's new Liberty Media era is good news for "traditional" race hosts like Germany, new sport managing director Ross Brawn says. Germany will not host a race in 2017, after […]
  • 02/08/2016 Hockenheim wants help to secure German GP future Aug.2 (GMM) A cloud continues to hang over the future of the German grand prix. The Nurburgring's woes meant there was no race in Germany last year, and it appears unlikely the track […]
  • 17/03/2015 2015 German GP ‘no longer possible’ Mar.17 (GMM) The last slim hope for this year's German grand prix now appears over. With the embattled Nurburgring unable to fulfil its agreement to host the race in July, Bernie […]