Button eyes GT, rallycross for 2017

Nov.12 (GMM) Jenson Button has hinted at his plan to keep on racing during his F1 ‘sabbatical’ next year.

Although some think the Briton is retiring, 36-year-old Button insists he might return in 2018. But what is clear is that the 2009 world champion will probably keep on racing next year.

“I’m not sure what I’m going to do,” Speed Week quotes the McLaren driver as saying.

“Maybe I’ll do the 1000km of Suzuka in Super GT,” Button revealed. “It would be nice if that worked out.

“I could also imagine doing some rallycross in America and some other things — I just have to decide how much I want to do.

“I really want to take a break, so I’m not sure I want to do a whole rallycross season next year,” added Button, whose late father John was a rallycross star.

What is clear is that Button is relishing the idea of life beyond F1.

“I think it’s very exciting,” he said, “because in the last 17 years I was in formula one and I’d like to experience something different.

“Formula one is the pinnacle of motor sport but after a while you need something new.”

Related News

  • 28/05/2017 F1 career ‘already over’ – Button May 28 (GMM) Jenson Button has played down speculation he might be considering a full-time return to formula one. The 2009 world champion retired at the end of 2017, but he signed a […]
  • 25/11/2016 Button says Abu Dhabi ‘my last race’ Nov.25 (GMM) Jenson Button has admitted Sunday's Abu Dhabi grand prix will probably be his last in formula one. When the F1 veteran announced that he won't be racing in 2017, he […]
  • 18/01/2017 ‘No problems’ in Bottas-Hamilton pairing – Kovalainen Jan.18 (GMM) Lewis Hamilton's former teammate says Valtteri Bottas should not have any trouble working with the triple world champion in 2017. "I have good memories with Lewis," said […]
  • 16/05/2017 Button not ruling out F1 return May 16 (GMM) Jenson Button is not ruling out a full-time return to formula one. Last year, despite the F1 veteran inking a new two-year contract with McLaren, the Briton said the 2016 […]
  • 07/09/2015 Button expecting quick decision over 2016 Sep.7 (GMM) Jenson Button is expecting a quick decision over his future at McLaren. Last year, the F1 world in general was critical of McLaren's long dithering over whether the popular […]
  • 15/09/2016 Button happy to retire with one title Sep.15 (GMM) Jenson Button says he would be happy to retire with just a single world championship under his belt. Recently at Monza, F1's longest serving active driver and McLaren […]
  • 29/10/2016 Button hits out at misleading magazine quote Oct.29 (GMM) Jenson Button has hit back at a magazine cover that suggested Ron Dennis pushed him into retirement. After 17 years in F1, the 36-year-old is taking a sabbatical next season […]
  • 26/08/2016 Button to ‘probably’ stay in F1 Aug.26 (GMM) Jenson Button says his plans beyond 2016 will be known "soon". It is strongly rumoured that McLaren-Honda will end its seven-year relationship with the 2009 world champion […]
  • 18/12/2015 Vandoorne aims for F1 debut in 2017 Dec.18 (GMM) Stoffel Vandoorne has acknowledged that his F1 race career will have to wait until 2017 at least. The McLaren-backed Belgian has been dominant en route to becoming the new […]
  • 10/03/2015 Button denies Olympic bid reports Mar.10 (GMM) Jenson Button has hit back at reports he contemplated quitting F1 for the Olympics. The Mirror newspaper had quoted the McLaren driver as saying amid McLaren's dithering […]