Ferrari could lose drivers after 2017 – Marchionne

Dec.5 (GMM) Sergio Marchionne has admitted Ferrari is at risk of losing its champion drivers after 2017.

However, the great marque’s president played down rumours that Sebastian Vettel is a real contender to replace Nico Rosberg at Mercedes next year.

“Both drivers are under contract for 2017,” he said at Ferrari’s world finals event in Daytona.

“What happens next, I don’t know, but I think a lot depends on how we manage the 2017 season,” Marchionne added.

“If we repeat 2016, I do not think we will have the ability to attract excellent drivers.”

As for new world champion Rosberg’s seismic decision to leave Mercedes, Marchionne commented: “I was surprised, but I do not expect Mercedes to be weaker without him.

“Rather, I hope Ferrari will be stronger,” he added.

Related News

  • 24/08/2017 Rivals ‘more consistent’ than Hamilton – Rosberg Aug.24 (GMM) Valtteri Bottas has a real chance of winning the 2017 world championship. That is the claim of the Finn's predecessor at Mercedes, reigning title winner Nico Rosberg. Last […]
  • 13/03/2019 Vettel ‘lacked support’ in 2018 – Rosberg Mar.13 (GMM) Sebastian Vettel now has the support he needs to win the title for Ferrari. That is the belief of Nico Rosberg, the 2016 world champion. Another former F1 driver, Ralf […]
  • 08/06/2018 Engine situation could cost Mercedes – Hamilton Jun.8 (GMM) Lewis Hamilton sounded disappointed when journalists asked him in Montreal about Mercedes' engine situation. Despite scheduling an upgrade for Montreal, the German marque has […]
  • 22/02/2017 I still believe in Ferrari – Vettel Feb.22 (GMM) Sebastian Vettel says he still 'believes' in his dream of becoming world champion with Ferrari. After the fabled team took a step backwards in 2016, current world champion […]
  • 11/11/2017 Rosberg doubts Vettel can win 2018 title Nov.11 (GMM) Nico Rosberg does not think Sebastian Vettel and Ferrari are ready to topple Mercedes in F1. The two top teams battled for the title this year, but ultimately Lewis Hamilton […]
  • 06/12/2016 Ferrari not involved with Rosberg story – Arrivabene Dec.6 (GMM) Maurizio Arrivabene has counted Ferrari out of Mercedes' last minute scramble to replace the newly-retired world champion Nico Rosberg. Sebastian Vettel was touted as a […]
  • 12/04/2017 Hamilton ‘right’ to respect Vettel battle more – Lauda Apr.12 (GMM) Lewis Hamilton respects his new battle with Sebastian Vettel more than his acrimonious former scrap with now retired world champion Nico Rosberg, Niki Lauda has […]
  • 17/03/2019 Ferrari still favourites for race – Rosberg Mar.17 (GMM) Mercedes' dominance in Melbourne so far does not mean the whole season will be like that. That is the view of Frederic Vasseur, the Alfa Romeo team boss. "I'm not surprised […]
  • 12/10/2015 Ferrari admits real focus now on 2016 and beyond Oct.12 (GMM) Sebastian Vettel is still in the hunt, but Ferrari's realistic hopes are now firmly set on a proper title challenge for 2016. Indeed, while Vettel actually overtook Nico […]
  • 11/05/2016 ‘Too early’ to say title already gone – Vettel May 11 (GMM) Sebastian Vettel insists the race for the 2016 world championship is still wide open. After Nico Rosberg's four consecutive wins so far, some insiders are saying the […]