Wehrlein on pole for Mercedes seat

Dec.6 (GMM) Pascal Wehrlein appears to be in pole position to step up and become Lewis Hamilton’s new teammate at Mercedes for 2017.

The news comes as team chiefs got together at Brackley this week to discuss the urgent situation of replacing Nico Rosberg following his shock decision to quit F1.

Multiple sources said the possibility of extracting Fernando Alonso from his McLaren-Honda contract was also discussed.

“I think the chance (of Alonso moving) is 50 per cent,” Pedro de la Rosa, a countryman and former McLaren and Ferrari teammate of Alonso’s, told Cadena Ser radio.

“I say this because I know how things work,” he added. “A top team needs to have the best.”

Some, however, have rubbished the prospect of Mercedes reuniting McLaren’s toxic pairing of 2007, but de la Rosa said both Alonso and Hamilton “have matured a lot” since then.

But the Spanish sports newspaper Marca claims that following talks with McLaren chiefs Zak Brown and Eric Boullier, Alonso has in fact reaffirmed his commitment to McLaren and particularly Honda.

In the media, Brown and Boullier both said Alonso is happy at McLaren.

El Mundo Deportivo agrees with that, saying Mercedes is in fact on the verge of signing up the most experienced of its junior drivers, German Wehrlein, for 2017.

“No driver has more experience with the 2017 tyres than me,” the 22-year-old driver is quoted by the German newspaper TZ.

“The decision now lies with the bosses and I respect the process of looking for the best option,” said Wehrlein.

Related News

  • 31/12/2015 F1 ‘a bad product’ in 2015 – de la Rosa Dec.31 (GMM) Former race and test driver Pedro de la Rosa thinks 2016 will be a better year for formula one. "Let's be realistic," the 44-year-old, most recently a test driver for […]
  • 04/10/2016 De la Rosa doubts Alonso can win 2017 title Oct.4 (GMM) Fernando Alonso is the best formula one driver of all time. That is the claim of former F1 driver and tester Pedro de la Rosa, a fellow Spaniard who worked with the two-time […]
  • 01/08/2018 De la Rosa warns against McLaren move for Sainz Aug.1 (GMM) Pedro de la Rosa is not sure an all-Spanish driver lineup at McLaren next year would be a "dream". Carlos Sainz is being linked with the seat alongside his friend and […]
  • 31/12/2015 Renault wants Alonso at new works team – Minardi Dec.31 (GMM) Gian Carlo Minardi, a former team owner and boss, believes Renault is making plans to have Fernando Alonso lead the French carmaker's new works effort. Spaniard Alonso, one […]
  • 16/06/2017 Only ‘the name’ the same at McLaren – de la Rosa Jun.16 (GMM) The "only thing" that has survived the sweeping change at McLaren in recent years is "the name". That is the claim of the once-great British team's former long-time test and […]
  • 03/03/2017 McLaren chassis ‘restless’ on track – de la Rosa Mar.3 (GMM) Honda is having a troubled start to its 2017 season, but the McLaren chassis is also far from perfect. That is the claim of the British team's former driver Pedro de la Rosa, […]
  • 25/02/2016 McLaren-Honda will not win in 2016 – de la Rosa Feb.25 (GMM) McLaren-Honda is right to be keeping its expectations for 2016 in check, according to the British team's former long-time test driver Pedro de la Rosa. Now 45, de la Rosa […]
  • 23/02/2015 De la Rosa set for Mercedes switch – report Feb.23 (GMM) Pedro de la Rosa could be set to return to formula one with Mercedes. In recent years, the Spanish veteran worked closely with his countryman Fernando Alonso at Ferrari as […]
  • 01/08/2019 Former F1 players think Alonso return possible Aug.1 (GMM) Two experienced former F1 personalities think it is possible that Fernando Alonso will return to the grid. Disgruntled with the state of the sport and his lack of […]
  • 19/05/2016 Jean Alesi’s son steps up to GP3 May 19 (GMM) Jean Alesi's well-known F1 face will be a common sight in the paddock this year. That's because his 16-year-old French son Giuliano, whose mother is Jean's Japanese wife […]