Ferrari to let Giovinazzi race on for Sauber

Mar.30 (GMM) Ferrari has decided to make its official reserve driver available to Sauber for the forthcoming China-Bahrain double header.

That is the claim of the authoritative Italian daily La Gazzetta dello Sport, after Antonio Giovinazzi was loaned to Sauber in Australia to replace Pascal Wehrlein.

If Wehrlein continues to be unfit ahead of the next two races, Giovinazzi was considered an obvious choice as his replacement.

But correspondent Andrea Cremonesi insists that Ferrari actually contemplated making the 23-year-old Italian unavailable to the Swiss team.

That is because letting Giovinazzi do more races for Sauber will in fact make him ineligible to do the ‘young driver’ tests for Ferrari later this year.

“That Giovinazzi will get another opportunity to drive for Sauber now becomes more real,” Cremonesi said, “because Ferrari has decided to ‘sacrifice’ being able to use him in the tests after Bahrain.”

Related News

  • 09/11/2017 Giovinazzi not giving up on 2018 F1 ‘dream’ Nov.9 (GMM) Antonio Giovinazzi says he still has his eye on the big "dream" of racing in formula one for Ferrari. The Italian actually had a minor role in this year's F1 season, […]
  • 16/01/2018 F1 ‘still priority’ despite Formula E test – Giovinazzi Jan.16 (GMM) Antonio Giovinazzi insists formula one remains his "priority". With the support of Ferrari, the Italian made his F1 debut early last year as he temporarily replaced the […]
  • 03/04/2017 Wehrlein to do Friday practice in China Apr.3 (GMM) Pascal Wehrlein will return to the cockpit of his Sauber this Friday in Shanghai. That is the claim of the Italian media, after the German apparently voluntarily withdrew […]
  • 25/03/2017 Ecclestone hopes for strong Ferrari in Australia Mar.25 (GMM) Bernie Ecclestone is not in Melbourne, but from a distance he made clear his fingers are crossed for a strong Ferrari in the 2017 season opener. "I really hope they will be […]
  • 18/04/2018 Raikkonen not treated fairly at Ferrari – press Apr.18 (GMM) Leading Italian journalists have slammed Ferrari for continuing to run a blatant 'number 2' driver policy. Pino Allievi, the leading correspondent for La Gazzetta dello […]
  • 17/02/2017 Sauber to confirm Wehrlein out for first test Feb.17 (GMM) Sauber is set to confirm that Pascal Wehrlein will sit out the start of official pre-season testing in a little over a week. With Mercedes' backing, the 22-year-old German […]
  • 06/03/2017 Giovinazzi says 2017 priority is Ferrari Mar.6 (GMM) Antonio Giovinazzi insists his priority for 2017 is his role as Ferrari's reserve driver. That is despite the fact the Italian was drafted into the Sauber driver lineup for […]
  • 26/09/2018 Salo questions Sauber’s Giovinazzi pick Sep.26 (GMM) Mika Salo is not sure Sauber has made the right choice for 2019. The former F1 driver was commenting on the news that the Swiss team has ousted Marcus Ericsson - who is […]
  • 13/02/2017 Giovinazzi not denying Friday practice rumours Feb.13 (GMM) Antonio Giovinazzi has refused to dismiss speculation he might be in line for some Friday practice outings this season. The Italian, who was the runner-up in GP2 last year, […]
  • 05/01/2017 Alesi hails Ferrari deal for Giovinazzi Jan.5 (GMM) Jean Alesi has hailed Ferrari's decision to sign up an Italian driver for 2017. GP2 runner-up Antonio Giovinazzi will be the fabled Maranello team's reserve driver this year, […]