Marchionne staying at Ferrari until 2021

Mar.6 (GMM) Sergio Marchionne will remain Ferrari’s president until at least 2021.

That is the news in Italian reports including the authoritative La Gazzetta dello Sport.

In January, we reported that the 64-year-old declared during a news conference that he will “undoubtedly” retire after 2018.

But Gazzetta now reveals that Marchionne “will stay at Ferrari until at least 2021, even after his planned exit from Fiat Chrysler”.

The report cited official budget documents which reveal that Marchionne took no salary from Ferrari last year to go with his more than 10 million euro for running Fiat.

La Gazzetta dello Sport also quoted from an internal letter written by the Ferrari president, in which Marchionne said: “2016 was a season to forget.

“But I know that with the new technical team led by Mattia Binotto under the leadership of Maurizio Arrivabene, as well as the talented drivers Kimi Raikkonen and Sebastian Vettel, we have all the right people in place.

“The 2017 season is full of unknowns,” he added, “because of the many changes in the regulations and in management, so I refrain from making predictions.

“What I can promise is that we will fight, and that we have the drive, the commitment and the passion to return to the top,” Marchionne said.

Related News

  • 10/04/2017 Ferrari criticises Raikkonen after China Apr.10 (GMM) Ferrari has openly criticised Kimi Raikkonen after Sunday's Chinese grand prix. The Italian marque was not alone. The influential sports daily La Gazzetta dello Sport said […]
  • 13/02/2017 Giovinazzi not denying Friday practice rumours Feb.13 (GMM) Antonio Giovinazzi has refused to dismiss speculation he might be in line for some Friday practice outings this season. The Italian, who was the runner-up in GP2 last year, […]
  • 07/04/2017 Marchionne retirement plan on track Apr.7 (GMM) Sergio Marchionne's plan to step down as president of the Ferrari parent Fiat Chrysler appears on track. Reports in Italy said news that the 64-year-old's Italian-Canadian […]
  • 28/02/2017 Italy slams Ferrari for Barcelona ‘news blackout’ Feb.28 (GMM) Italian media sources have slammed Ferrari for turning its low-profile preseason strategy into a total blanket of silence. After president Sergio Marchionne admitted his […]
  • 24/08/2017 Alesi tips Vettel to sign next Ferrari contract Aug.24 (GMM) The decision to keep Kimi Raikkonen is a move by Ferrari to retain its harmonious team "atmosphere". That is the view of former Ferrari driver Jean Alesi, whose own comments […]
  • 29/12/2014 Enzo Ferrari’s son backs Maranello revolution Dec.29 (GMM) Enzo Ferrari's only living son Piero has backed the revolution at Maranello led by new president Sergio Marchionne. Having faltered at the start of the new turbo V6 era, […]
  • 25/10/2016 Italian press says Ferrari misses Alonso Oct.25 (GMM) Amid a difficult closing phase of the 2016 season, Ferrari and Sebastian Vettel are continuing to get a battering in the Italian media. Pino Allievi, arguably the most […]
  • 01/08/2017 Italian press backs Raikkonen for 2018 Aug.1 (GMM) The Ferrari-partisan Italian press has backed reports the Maranello marque looks set to keep Kimi Raikkonen at the team for 2018. It is expected the fabled Italian team will […]
  • 04/09/2018 Leclerc says Ferrari will decide future Sep.4 (GMM) Charles Leclerc says it is up to Ferrari to decide if he is ready for a plum seat with the Maranello team. It is believed that although new boss Louis Camilleri wanted to […]
  • 10/01/2019 Rivola hopes Leclerc given chance to win Jan.10 (GMM) Massimo Rivola thinks Ferrari will give Charles Leclerc a fair chance to win the 2019 world championship. Many insiders think highly rated youngster Leclerc, who is […]