F1 set to confirm 2029 Montreal contract

Jun.9 (GMM) Montreal’s Circuit Gilles Villeneuve has secured its place on the F1 calendar long into the future.

There was already a contract in place until 2025, but La Presse newspaper reports that the deal has now been extended until 2029, at a cost to the local governments of almost $100 million.

“The agreement will be publicly announced this weekend at the grand prix,” the newspaper said.

Part of the agreement involves a $48 million pledge to build a new paddock complex ahead of the 2019 race.

Le Journal de Montreal reports that alongside the Canadian officials for the official contract announcement will be F1 chiefs Chase Charey, Ross Brawn and Sean Bratches.

Related News

  • 08/05/2019 Montreal still working on new paddock – report May 8 (GMM) The Circuit Gilles Villeneuve is in a race against time to be ready for next month's Canadian grand prix. A correspondent for Le Journal de Montreal newspaper visited the […]
  • 09/12/2015 Canada GP promoter admits late to pay suppliers Dec.9 (GMM) The promoter of the popular Canadian grand prix has fallen behind in payments to suppliers, according to the Quebec newspaper La Presse. "It's true. I confirm it," said […]
  • 17/12/2018 Canada GP not in danger – promoter Dec.17 (GMM) The future of the Canadian grand prix is not in danger. That is the view of Montreal race promoter Francois Dumontier, even though F1 chief executive Chase Carey has warned […]
  • 26/07/2016 Montreal mayor plays down F1 race fears Jul.26 (GMM) Montreal's mayor has played down reports the 2017 Canadian grand prix is in serious doubt. Le Journal de Montreal newspaper reports that some fans have been unable to secure […]
  • 13/06/2016 Mayor working to secure Montreal’s F1 future Jun.13 (GMM) Montreal mayor Denis Coderre says the city will move to secure the future of the Canadian grand prix. At the weekend, F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone cast doubt on the future […]
  • 13/06/2018 Villeneuve slams Lauda over father jibe Jun.13 (GMM) Jacques Villeneuve has lashed out not only at Max Verstappen, but also F1 legend Niki Lauda. Villeneuve, the outspoken 1997 world champion, called Verstappen "a child" after […]
  • 23/11/2016 Canada secures place on 2017 calendar Nov.23 (GMM) Canada looks to have secured its place on the 2017 calendar. Until now, the popular Montreal race had been in doubt over delayed circuit improvement promises. But the […]
  • 02/06/2015 Canada GP partly for sale – report Jun.2 (GMM) The Canadian grand prix is partly for sale, the Montreal daily La Presse reports. The newspaper said promoter Francois Dumontier, with a new ten-year race contract with […]
  • 03/10/2016 Montreal working on 2017 race fix Oct.3 (GMM) Moves are afoot to secure Montreal's place on the 2017 F1 calendar. The FIA published a race schedule for next year recently and the Canadian grand prix was marked only as […]
  • 15/04/2016 Ecclestone eyeing new partners for Canada GP Apr.15 (GMM) Bernie Ecclestone is getting involved in finding new investors for Montreal's Canadian grand prix, according to a report in La Presse newspaper. The report said the F1 […]