McLaren car among ‘best’ in 2017

Jun.6 (GMM) Honda might be badly struggling, but McLaren is confident it has one of the very best cars on the 2017 grid.

“We now have one of the best cars in the field,” confirmed technical boss Matt Morris. “We had some problems last year but now we have a really good platform on which to build.”

But Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport claims Honda’s power deficit is up to 100hp, amid reports the Japanese marque’s MGU-H is not able to last even two race weekends.

One unnamed team member said: “We now have a car that could be on the podium with a proper engine.”

So for now, amid all sorts of rumours about the future of the McLaren-Honda partnership, team boss Eric Boullier said the Woking outfit will continue to push on.

“We will continue to develop our car to the maximum possible,” he said, “so that we’re ready for the day when the engine is working.”

Unfortunately, that day is not coming yet. A scheduled upgrade for this weekend’s Canadian grand prix has been postponed indefinitely.

“The main problem is vibration,” Honda’s Yusuke Hasegawa is quoted by Speed Week.

“We are doing everything to bring an improved version to the race track as soon as possible, but I cannot promise (when).”

Related News

  • 09/11/2017 McLaren adapting 2018 car for Renault engine Nov.9 (GMM) McLaren is reportedly working hard to adapt its 2018 car to the very different Renault engine. When the British team began the 2018 project, it might have expected to stay […]
  • 10/02/2015 McLaren designer says race finish in Melbourne ‘realistic’ Feb.10 (GMM) McLaren-Honda is confident it will see the chequered flag in Melbourne. Together again after more than two decades, the famous British team and the returning Japanese […]
  • 27/02/2017 McLaren joins rivals with controversial suspension Feb.27 (GMM) Another team has joined Mercedes and Red Bull in planning to field a controversial suspension system in 2017. A protest threat is currently hanging over the forthcoming […]
  • 29/08/2017 Alonso issues McLaren-Honda ultimatum – report Aug.29 (GMM) Fernando Alonso has issued a 'Honda or me' ultimatum to McLaren, according to Germany's authoritative Auto Motor und Sport. It appears that the fiery Spaniard's three years […]
  • 16/06/2015 Energy recovery is ‘greatest difficulty’ – Honda Jun.16 (GMM) McLaren and Honda are working hard to improve their relationship as the once-great collaboration struggles at the start of a new era. After Canada, reports suggested […]
  • 11/02/2015 Alonso eyes McLaren-Honda success ‘soon’ Feb.11 (GMM) Arguably the biggest question mark heading into the 2015 season is the form of McLaren-Honda. Team management are hailing the tight packaging of their "size-zero" MP4-30, […]
  • 08/06/2017 McLaren gives Honda Spa deadline – report Jun.8 (GMM) Speculation McLaren and Honda could be set to split is intensifying ahead of this weekend's Canadian grand prix. With the Japanese carmaker notably struggling since […]
  • 09/03/2016 Honda ‘not yet’ on schedule – Boullier Mar.9 (GMM) Honda is running behind schedule so far in 2016, McLaren team boss Eric Boullier revealed on Wednesday. After the disaster of 2015, Boullier seems happy with the management […]
  • 02/07/2018 Villeneuve questions Vandoorne’s drive Jul.2 (GMM) Jacques Villeneuve has questioned Stoffel Vandoorne's drive to succeed in formula one. Vandoorne arrived in F1 last year, but at the tail of the Honda era and now also with […]
  • 04/02/2015 Jerez sees F1 move up a gear for 2015 Feb.4 (GMM) As the first test of the 2015 pre-season nears its end, more questions have emerged than have been answered. McLaren, for one, has struggled with its odd-sounding new works […]