‘No information’ about Honda upgrade – Alonso

Jun.13 (GMM) Rumours are growing by the day that the works McLaren-Honda partnership is now definitely doomed.

It seems the final straw for the British team was Montreal, where Honda failed to deliver on a promise to upgrade its woefully unreliable and underperforming power unit.

Then, Fernando Alonso retired within sight of the team’s first point of 2017.

“It’s difficult to find the words to express our disappointment, our frustration and our sadness,” said team boss Eric Boullier.

“It’s simply and absolutely not good enough.”

Once a believer in Honda’s potential, key team driver Alonso’s message in Canada was that while McLaren is ready to win, the Japanese marque may never be.

“After 16 years, it doesn’t change my life to win a point or not, but we have to start scoring for the work that the mechanics do day and night, changing many engines,” he said.

So after the new engine did not arrive in Montreal, perhaps it will be ready for Baku next weekend.

“I do not have information about the improvement of the engine,” the Spaniard told the Movistar broadcaster. “I do not work for Honda and I’m not an engine designer.”

Alonso is also quoted by Blick newspaper: “I am of course frustrated, but especially at this time for McLaren, who always give me a top car which is then attacked by everyone on the straight.”

Related News

  • 10/06/2017 McLaren considering ‘all scenarios’ regarding Honda Jun.10 (GMM) McLaren is considering "all possible scenarios" amid rumours the British team is on the cusp of dumping works engine partner Honda. Team executive Zak Brown this week gave […]
  • 14/06/2017 Honda admits ‘test bench’ problem Jun.14 (GMM) Honda has given an explanation about the extent of its struggle so far in 2017. The signs are growing stronger by the day that McLaren has now decided to dump its hapless […]
  • 08/06/2015 McLaren offers ‘more resources’ to help Honda Jun.8 (GMM) McLaren has offered to help works engine partner Honda to end the current crisis before it becomes "embarrassing". Team figures have put a brave and united face on the […]
  • 17/06/2015 McLaren-Honda ‘will not give up’ – Alonso Jun.17 (GMM) McLaren will not "give up" after a frustrating outing recently in Canada. That is the claim of Fernando Alonso, despite being quoted in recent days suggesting the […]
  • 24/05/2017 Boullier not ruling out McLaren-Honda ‘divorce’ May 24 (GMM) Eric Boullier is not ruling out that McLaren could split with Honda. McLaren linked up with the Japanese carmaker three years ago, but is still struggling for performance […]
  • 05/06/2017 Alonso unsure over Honda engine upgrade Jun.5 (GMM) Fernando Alonso has admitted he may not have a more powerful Honda engine to use in Montreal this weekend. Some media reports claim that while the struggling Japanese marque […]
  • 01/06/2016 Alonso says Honda engine upgrade coming for Canada Jun.1 (GMM) McLaren and Honda have played down Fernando Alonso's claim that the decision to take an upgraded engine to Canada next weekend has already been taken. The Anglo-Japanese […]
  • 26/03/2017 Sauber talks start amid McLaren-Honda split rumours Mar.26 (GMM) McLaren and Honda could now be on a fast track to F1 divorce. Paddock speculation in Melbourne is rife that, now into its third year of an unsuccessful works collaboration […]
  • 04/06/2018 Honda tipped to make 40hp step in Canada Jun.4 (GMM) Honda will take "a considerable step" this weekend in Canada. Like most of the engine manufacturers, the Japanese carmaker will bring an updated 'power unit' specification to […]
  • 02/08/2017 Honda still pushing to improve 2017 engine Aug.2 (GMM) Amid swirling speculation about the future, Honda is still pushing to improve its 2017 engine. There are claims McLaren and Honda will divorce, but the struggling Japanese […]