Raikkonen ‘basically’ Ferrari no.2 – Salo

Jun.2 (GMM) Kimi Raikkonen is “basically” already the number 2 driver at Ferrari for 2017.

That is the view of the Finn’s countryman Mika Salo.

His comments follow Monaco, where a controversial pit strategy saw Raikkonen lose the lead and the subsequent race win to teammate and championship leader Sebastian Vettel.

“Vettel has a good chance of winning the world championship,” Salo said.

“He’s doing a very good job against Hamilton. Kimi is already quite a lot of points behind, so basically he’s the second driver in everyone’s eyes,” said the former F1 driver.

“Of course Kimi may not believe it until it is mathematically impossible to win the championship, but the team’s interest means Kimi is probably the second driver,” Salo added.

However, Salo said that de-facto number 2 status does not mean Raikkonen will be the subject of draconian ‘team orders’.

“That sort of thing cannot happen anymore, although it may be a bit worse than a pit strategy or something else.

“We haven’t seen it yet, but I bet we will if Vettel continues to lead and Kimi happens to be faster somewhere. There may be the need to change places,” he added.

Related News

  • 06/06/2017 No good candidates to replace Raikkonen – Salo Jun.6 (GMM) Kimi Raikkonen has a good chance of hanging onto his place at Ferrari beyond 2017. That is the view of the Finn's countryman Mika Salo, a former F1 driver and now regular FIA […]
  • 19/02/2016 Raikkonen must beat Vettel in 2016 – Salo Feb.19 (GMM) Kimi Raikkonen should not be regarded as 'number 2' to teammate Sebastian Vettel at Ferrari. That is the view of fellow Finn and former Ferrari driver Mika Salo, who […]
  • 15/10/2015 Ferrari backs Raikkonen after crash criticism Oct.15 (GMM) Ferrari has leapt to the defence of Kimi Raikkonen, amid rising criticism of the Finn's driving in Russia. The 2007 world champion was penalised by the stewards for ending […]
  • 02/08/2018 Raikkonen still waiting on Ferrari decision Aug.2 (GMM) Kimi Raikkonen says he is still waiting to know if he will be a Ferrari driver in 2019. Not long ago, an Italian newspaper reported confidently that the Finn will be replaced […]
  • 19/05/2015 Ferrari sure upgraded car is better May 19 (GMM) Ferrari will try again with its new bodywork package in Monaco this weekend, former double world champion Mika Hakkinen believes. The resurgent-in-2015 team had headed to […]
  • 07/09/2018 Vettel making too many mistakes – Hakkinen Sep.7 (GMM) Former world champion Mika Hakkinen thinks Mercedes could be heading for the 2018 title, even though Ferrari currently has the faster car. The 1998 and 1999 title winner is […]
  • 10/09/2015 Raikkonen emerging from ‘number 2’ status – Hakkinen Sep.10 (GMM) Kimi Raikkonen is beginning to emerge from his earlier role as de-facto 'number 2' at Ferrari, according to countryman Mika Hakkinen. Last year the Finn was outclassed by […]
  • 26/02/2019 Bottas expects ‘equal’ treatment early in 2019 Feb.26 (GMM) Valtteri Bottas says he is sure Mercedes will allow him to take on Lewis Hamilton in 2019. Ferrari has opened its account for this year by saying that Sebastian Vettel has […]
  • 10/11/2017 Bottas not ruling out Hamilton ‘team orders’ Nov.10 (GMM) Valtteri Bottas is targeting second place behind his teammate Lewis Hamilton in the 2017 world championship. Sebastian Vettel was gutted in Mexico to have lost the title to […]
  • 09/06/2017 Raikkonen not angry after Monaco controversy Jun.9 (GMM) Kimi Raikkonen insists he is not angry following the 'team orders' controversy of Monaco. Ferrari did not issue team orders so that Sebastian Vettel won in the Principality, […]