Alonso admits 2018 Indycar switch possible

Jul.29 (GMM) Fernando Alonso is not ruling out a switch to America’s top open wheeler category Indycar for 2018.

Amid his frustration in the third year of McLaren-Honda’s hapless collaboration, the Spaniard said in Hungary that “the Indy 500” was his only positive moment of 2017.

Earlier, he said moving full-time to Indycar was not likely for 2018, but since then Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull have made clear they are not in the market to sign Alonso.

So Indycar is now “one possibility” for 2018, Alonso – who turns 36 on Saturday – said.

“Let’s see in a month or so,” he continued.

“I’ve always said I’m very open to what may come in the future. I want to win next year and to win we need some good changes here (at McLaren). Many changes,” Alonso insisted.

“If those happen, it is possible I stay but it’s something I will consider in September.”

Related News

  • 10/08/2017 McLaren set for Indycar return in future Aug.10 (GMM) McLaren may not be heading back to Indycar this year, but the future is another matter entirely. That is the claim of Mark Miles, the boss of the premier American open […]
  • 09/02/2018 Alonso could do Indy 500 again in 2019 Feb.9 (GMM) Fernando Alonso could return to the Indy 500 in 2019. But Zak Brown, his boss at McLaren, played down the chances the British team might follow Alonso to America with a fully […]
  • 29/05/2017 Alonso ‘not ready’ to commit to 2018 Indy 500 May 29 (GMM) Fernando Alonso has suggested he will return to America to bid once again for Indy 500 victory. Having sat out Monaco last weekend, the Spaniard tasted the lead of the […]
  • 09/05/2017 Button not taking Monaco ‘seriously’ – Webber May 9 (GMM) Jenson Button may not be taking his one-off return to F1 this month "seriously enough". That is the view of the Briton's contemporary Mark Webber, referring to the fact that […]
  • 09/07/2018 Alonso needs Indy for ‘motivation’ – Verstappen Jul.9 (GMM) Max Verstappen suspects Fernando Alonso is looking outside of F1 because the Spaniard's motivation has gone. Many have hailed Alonso for not only continuing to focus on […]
  • 12/10/2018 Webber hopes Indycar move right for Alonso Oct.12 (GMM) Fernando Alonso says he still has not decided what he will be doing in 2019. Frustrated with modern F1 and the top teams' apparent refusal to sign him, the double world […]
  • 26/05/2018 Alonso to Indycar rumour emerges May 26 (GMM) The next rumour regarding Fernando Alonso's future has emerged in the Monaco paddock. Earlier, with McLaren's Zak Brown saying he wants to keep the Spaniard, it emerged that […]
  • 27/05/2017 Hamilton scoffs at Alonso’s Indy rivals May 27 (GMM) Lewis Hamilton has apparently scoffed at the level of competition facing Fernando Alonso ahead of Sunday's Indy 500. Not long after this weekend's prestigious F1 race, […]
  • 27/04/2017 Haug questions Alonso’s Indy move Apr.27 (GMM) A former F1 chief has questioned McLaren's decision to tackle the Indy 500 with Fernando Alonso next month. For many years, Haug was the head of Mercedes' F1 programme, […]
  • 15/05/2018 McLaren plans mid-season Alonso talks May 15 (GMM) McLaren will open talks with Fernando Alonso about 2019 around the middle of the season. That is the news from team executive Zak Brown, acknowledging the rumours that the […]