Mercedes not dumping F1 for Formula E – Lauda

Jul.30 (GMM) Niki Lauda says there is no risk Mercedes will dump F1 in favour of the increasingly-popular all-electric series Formula E.

Mercedes and Porsche made waves earlier this week by pulling out of DTM and Le Mans respectively in order to enter Formula E.

But Lauda, the Mercedes F1 team chairman, says there is no risk the decision is a precursor to Mercedes dumping its F1 programme.

“Formula one is our racing sport so an exit is not an issue at all,” he told the German broadcaster RTL.

Rather, Lauda said entering Formula E is simply about the future. “We had to ask ‘Where is the future going?’

“At the same time we have to try to make Formula E more attractive, because at the moment you even have to change the batteries.”

Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff agrees: “Formula E is still at the beginning of its development, but electrification is in full swing.

“I would not be surprised if in three, four, five years Formula E is completely different and we are talking about every single race.”

Related News

  • 22/02/2016 Hulkenberg no fan of closing F1 cockpit Feb.22 (GMM) Nico Hulkenberg has admitted he is not among those who support the closing of the cockpits in formula one. It is believed F1 is close to adopting the so-called 'halo' […]
  • 29/07/2017 Porsche not ruling out F1 move Jul.29 (GMM) Porsche is not ruling out a move into formula one in the future. The famous German carmaker, as well as Mercedes, made big waves this week by pulling out of Le Mans and DTM […]
  • 28/07/2017 End is nigh for LMP1 and DTM – Massa Jul.28 (GMM) While F1 and Formula E keep growing and thriving, the end could be nigh for motor racing's other top categories Le Mans and DTM. That is the view of formula one veteran […]
  • 27/03/2017 Overtaking ‘a problem’ in new F1 – Wolff Mar.27 (GMM) Although Ferrari won on Sunday, Mercedes chief Toto Wolff gave a thumbs-up to the 'new' F1 after the 2017 season opener. On a competitive level, however, Wolff's colleague […]
  • 23/04/2018 Porsche to decide on F1 entry after May – Berger Apr.23 (GMM) Porsche is considering entering formula one in 2021. That is the view of F1 legend Gerhard Berger, who is now the boss of the German touring car series DTM. Recently, […]
  • 16/06/2015 VW says ‘no talks’ about F1 project Jun.16 (GMM) Volkswagen has issued another denial to seemingly constant speculation it might be considering a foray in formula one. VW Group brands including Audi and Porsche, already […]
  • 16/11/2018 F1 teams eye Porsche boss Seidl Nov.16 (GMM) Mercedes looks set to recruit a top official from Porsche's highly successful Le Mans team. Porsche ended its highly successful run in the world endurance championship last […]
  • 28/03/2015 Manipulating excitement would kill F1 – Lauda Mar.28 (GMM) Niki Lauda says Mercedes is staying out of the political debate surrounding the team's ongoing dominance of formula one. After Melbourne, Red Bull - threatening even to quit […]
  • 25/01/2018 Wehrlein could return to F1 in 2019 – Wolff Jan.25 (GMM) Toto Wolff has confirmed that Pascal Wehrlein will be a Mercedes "test driver" in 2018. Having debuted at Manor, the young German has now lost his race seat after his second […]
  • 01/03/2015 Mercedes to ‘help’ save German GP – Wolff Mar.1 (GMM) Concerns are growing that Germany really will be dropped from the 2015 calendar. Officially, the country is still set to host a grand prix in July, but neither the […]