Jul.8 (GMM) Toto Wolff has ruled out signing up Esteban Ocon to replace Valtteri Bottas for 2018.
Currently, while happy with Bottas’ performance at Mercedes this year after he replaced Nico Rosberg, Wolff says he is not ready to re-sign the Finn for 2018.
Fernando Alonso has been slated as one potential alternative for Mercedes, but another could be Frenchman Ocon, the impressive 20-year-old Force India driver who is also the lead member of Mercedes’ driver development programme.
But when asked if Ocon is a contender, Mercedes chief Wolff told the Finnish broadcaster C More: “No, he’s too young.
“He’s a good guy, and he has a future, but we cannot put him alongside Lewis Hamilton yet,” he added.
25/05/2018 Bottas wants two-year Mercedes deal May 25 (GMM) Valtteri Bottas has admitted he would like a two-year deal if Mercedes extends his stay beyond 2018.
So far, the Finn has been on single-year contracts after he was signed […]
21/03/2017 Rosberg-Hamilton relationship ‘negative’ – Wolff Mar.21 (GMM) The intense relationship between Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg had become "negative" for Mercedes.
That is the claim of Toto Wolff, as he puts a positive spin on the […]
09/04/2017 Hamilton doesn’t want Alonso as teammate Apr.9 (GMM) Lewis Hamilton has given a strong sign that he doesn't want to share a garage with Fernando Alonso.
Actually, the pair were teammates when Hamilton was a rookie and Alonso […]
07/12/2016 Wolff wanted midfield team for Wehrlein in 2017 Dec.7 (GMM) Toto Wolff says it would be better if Pascal Wehrlein got another "year or two" to develop at a midfield team before stepping up at Mercedes.
The German camp is currently […]
26/01/2017 Wolff admits Bottas rivals on 2018 radar Jan.26 (GMM) Toto Wolff has admitted that Valtteri Bottas needs to prove he should keep his new seat at Mercedes beyond 2017.
Unusually for a top team, Mercedes has signed only a […]
02/02/2015 Hamilton, Dennis say Alonso not Mercedes-bound Feb.2 (GMM) Lewis Hamilton and Ron Dennis have dismissed speculation Fernando Alonso could be planning to spoil their respective plans. While Nico Rosberg pounded around Jerez on Sunday […]
05/12/2016 Mercedes ‘not ruling out’ Alonso for 2017 seat Dec.5 (GMM) Fernando Alonso and Mercedes have played down rumours linking the Spanish driver with Nico Rosberg's newly-vacant 2017 seat.
Team boss Toto Wolff has made a point of saying […]
03/03/2016 Wolff plays down Alonso driver swap claims Mar.3 (GMM) Toto Wolff has played down reports Fernando Alonso almost replaced reigning champion Lewis Hamilton at Mercedes last year. Alonso had made the claims on Spanish radio, […]