Spain GP talks to take place after race

May 11 (GMM) Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya boss Joan Fontsere says he hopes talks will lead to a new contract for the Spanish grand prix.

In recent days, circuit officials and F1 chief executive Chase Carey have indicated a new deal beyond 2019 is in the works.

Talks will begin after Sunday’s race.

“At the moment we are focused on everything going well this weekend,” Fontsere is quoted by El Pais newspaper.

“We have the grand prix guaranteed until 2019, and once this race is over, we will continue talking with Liberty.”

He said the environment for this round of negotiations is very different compared to when the last contract was agreed.

“Fernando Alonso had just won his titles, we were competing with Valencia and we also had pressure from a project in Madrid,” said Fontsere.

Meanwhile, F1 chief executive Carey played down any impact the political situation regarding the Catalonia region will have on the talks.

“We are aware of what is happening,” he said. “But things are complicated in every part of the world. There are 21 countries and 21 problems.

“Barcelona is a very valuable partnership for us.”

Related News

  • 23/04/2018 Official denies Spanish GP in doubt Apr.23 (GMM) A Spanish official has played down rumours the future of the grand prix in Barcelona could be in doubt. Barcelona's current contract is set to expire next year, and there […]
  • 22/03/2019 Carey in Barcelona for Spanish GP contract talks Mar.22 (GMM) Negotiations to extend Barcelona's contract to host the Spanish grand prix have begun. Spanish media, including EFE news agency, say F1 chief executive Chase Carey met with […]
  • 13/05/2019 Catalonia president steps in to save Spanish GP May 13 (GMM) Catalonia regional president Quim Torra has moved to boost Barcelona's dwindling chances of keeping the Spanish grand prix on the F1 calendar. It is widely believed that […]
  • 26/06/2019 Sao Paulo not giving up on Brazil GP Jun.26 (GMM) The governor of Sao Paulo is not giving up on the Brazilian grand prix. Earlier this week, F1 CEO Chase Carey met with Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro, who declared the […]
  • 03/06/2019 Body wants support for new Spanish GP deal Jun.3 (GMM) The Royal Automobile Club of Catalonia (RACC) has joined the fight to help keep the Spanish GP in Barcelona. It appears that the annual race at the Circuit de Catalunya could […]
  • 22/05/2019 Barcelona rates 2020 contract chances at ’90pc’ May 22 (GMM) Circuit de Catalunya boss Joan Fontsere rates the chances of a Spanish GP next year at "90 per cent". That is despite the fact that Zandvoort, having inked a deal for a 2020 […]
  • 07/06/2017 Paul Ricard set for mid-year 2018 date Jun.7 (GMM) Paul Ricard is heading for a mid-year race date for the return of the French grand prix next year. That is the claim of race promoter Christian Estrosi, who revealed to […]
  • 17/12/2018 Canada GP not in danger – promoter Dec.17 (GMM) The future of the Canadian grand prix is not in danger. That is the view of Montreal race promoter Francois Dumontier, even though F1 chief executive Chase Carey has warned […]
  • 16/07/2017 Canada GP boss not weighing into Silverstone dispute Jul.16 (GMM) Canadian grand prix promoter Francois Dumontier says he does not want to weigh in on the dispute between F1 owner Liberty Media and Silverstone. Making a visit to the scene […]
  • 09/07/2015 Jorda looking ahead to first F1 test Jul.9 (GMM) Carmen Jorda says she is still on course to make her formula one driving debut at some point in the future. The 27-year-old former GP3 racer and Spaniard is now a regular at […]