Latifi admits eyeing F1 grid with Williams

May 15 (GMM) Nicholas Latifi is not denying that he wants to get into Formula 1.

The Canadian is Williams’ reserve driver, and he has been promised some Friday practice outings in 2019.

Not just that, amid the hype surrounding Mick Schumacher, it is actually 23-year-old Latifi – whose father is a billionaire – who is leading the Formula 2 standings.

And Le Journal de Montreal reported recently that Latifi is first in line should the struggling Robert Kubica be ousted before the end of the season.

“Of course my goal is to get into Formula 1,” Latifi said as he tested for Williams in Barcelona this week.

“But my programme this year is focused on Formula 2. That is my priority.

“I have to concentrate on maintaining my current form there and winning the championship. If I do that, I think I will find myself in a good position to go to Formula 1 next year,” he added.

However, he said there have been no talks with Williams about 2020 yet.

“Honestly, not yet,” said Latifi. “The season has just begun and a lot can happen.

“But if you look at the past, and those who won the Formula 2 and GP2 titles, I think most of them found themselves in Formula 1.

“From my point of view, if I win the championship, then my goal is an immediate transition to Formula 1.”

Related News

  • 11/05/2019 Latifi could replace Kubica at Williams – report May 11 (GMM) The first rumours that Robert Kubica could be ousted by Williams have emerged. The Pole has struggled alongside George Russell on his return to F1 after an eight year […]
  • 20/05/2019 Kubica admits he wants ‘better results’ May 20 (GMM) Robert Kubica insists he does not regret returning to Formula 1. That is despite the fact that, just five races into his first season since sustaining permanent arm injuries […]
  • 06/06/2018 Latifi targets F1 race seat for 2019 Jun.6 (GMM) Nicholas Latifi says he is targeting a formula one seat for 2019. The 22-year-old Canadian is currently Force India's reserve driver, and he will be in action on Friday […]
  • 26/03/2018 Stroll hits out at Williams’ 2018 car Mar.26 (GMM) Lance Stroll has fired some rare criticism at his F1 employer. Williams has had a tough start to the 2018 season, amid criticism for not signing Robert Kubica as race driver […]
  • 11/12/2017 Williams denies Rowland could get 2018 race seat Dec.11 (GMM) Williams has denied that Formula 2 star Oliver Rowland is now a late contender to replace Felipe Massa for 2018. With Robert Kubica inching towards the race seat for next […]
  • 21/05/2018 Latifi’s father linked with McLaren deal May 21 (GMM) The father of Force India reserve driver Nicholas Latifi is linked with a major deal at McLaren. Last week, Canadian 22-year-old Latifi tested for Force India in […]
  • 01/06/2017 Stroll not crumbling under ‘pressure’ – father Jun.1 (GMM) Lance Stroll's father has denied that his son is crumbling under the "pressure" of expectations in F1. Still just 18, Canadian Stroll has struggled at Williams so far in […]
  • 15/08/2016 No new reserve driver for Renault Aug.15 (GMM) Renault says it will not appoint an official replacement for reserve driver Esteban Ocon. Ocon has been called up to make his F1 race debut from the forthcoming Belgian […]
  • 13/05/2019 Carey to unveil Montreal’s new F1 pit building May 13 (GMM) Race promoter Francois Dumontier insists everything is on track for next month's Canadian GP. Earlier, there were reports that the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve's new pit […]
  • 01/09/2017 Villeneuve says ‘no’ to podium interview job Sep.1 (GMM) Jacques Villeneuve says he has repeatedly turned down offers to conduct the post-race interviews on the F1 podium. The 1997 world champion attends grands prix as a television […]