Binotto admits Ferrari made another strategy error

Jun.12 (GMM) Ferrari has admitted to making yet another strategy error in 2019.

Already criticised by the Italian press for a range of strategy mistakes this year, boss Mattia Binotto has confirmed that another oversight took place last Sunday in Canada.

When Sebastian Vettel was given his now highly controversial five second penalty, Charles Leclerc was not told to back off to protect the team leader’s second place finish.

In fact, Leclerc finished just six seconds behind Vettel on the track — a single second away from snatching second place from the furious German.

“I did not know what was going on or that Seb had a penalty,” Leclerc admitted to France’s Auto Hebdo.

“I was just attacking in case something happened in front of me. I did my own race.”

Boss Binotto admits that was an oversight.

“It was an error on our part. We were very busy on the wall and we missed it,” he said.

The mistake and Vettel’s lost victory aside, Leclerc said Ferrari has reason to be pleased with the outcome of the Canadian GP weekend.

“I think we were very fast,” he said.

“It’s a shame I made some mistakes in qualifying, which is something I have to work to improve. But the pace of the race was very, very strong so it’s a good sign for the future.”

Related News

  • 04/06/2019 Vettel dismisses retirement rumours Jun.4 (GMM) Sebastian Vettel has dismissed reports that suggest he could quit F1 at the end of the year. Former F1 driver Emanuele Pirro says the German is clearly "not having fun" this […]
  • 09/06/2019 Leclerc no fan of ‘political games’ in F1 Jun.9 (GMM) Charles Leclerc has vowed to stay out of the "political games" in Formula 1. One reading of the 21-year-old's situation is that he is steadily eroding Sebastian Vettel's […]
  • 03/06/2019 Montreal confident about long-term F1 future Jun.3 (GMM) With its brand new facilities, the Canadian GP venue in Montreal looks safe for the long term. That is the view of promoter Francois Dumontier, who played down suggestions […]
  • 01/07/2018 Ferrari seat ‘too early’ for Leclerc – Villeneuve Jul.1 (GMM) Jacques Villeneuve thinks Ferrari is promoting Charles Leclerc too soon. La Gazzetta dello Sport reports that the Maranello team has signed up the 20-year-old Sauber driver […]
  • 11/04/2019 Ferrari should have kept Raikkonen – Ecclestone Apr.11 (GMM) Bernie Ecclestone still thinks Ferrari should have kept Kimi Raikkonen in 2019. A friend of Sebastian Vettel's, former F1 supremo Ecclestone thinks Finn Raikkonen was a […]
  • 01/07/2015 F1 crisis needs ‘quick solution’ – Arrivabene Jul.1 (GMM) Maurizio Arrivabene says F1 is seeking "the solution" to its current crisis. When asked by France's Auto Hebdo about the increasingly disaffected audience, the Ferrari chief […]
  • 26/05/2019 Ferrari taking ‘risks’ to catch up – Binotto May 26 (GMM) Mattia Binotto has denied that Sebastian Vettel got preferential treatment that resulted in Charles Leclerc being stranded near the back of the Monaco grid. "No, not at […]
  • 05/04/2019 Vettel-Leclerc battle ‘good’ for Ferrari – Binotto Apr.5 (GMM) Mattia Binotto continues to support struggling Ferrari driver Sebastian Vettel. Already heavily criticised for mistakes last year, Vettel returned to old habits in Bahrain […]
  • 14/09/2018 Leclerc won’t be Vettel’s ‘number 2’ Sep.14 (GMM) Charles Leclerc says he will not be Sebastian Vettel's 'number 2' driver in 2019. Asked in Singapore if his new contract has a clause making clear his subservient status […]