Gasly to show ‘true value’ back at Toro Rosso

Aug.13 (GMM) Pierre Gasly is vowing to push on after being dumped by Red Bull’s premier team.

Despite repeatedly insisting that the struggling Frenchman would stay at least for the rest of 2019, Red Bull announced on Monday that he will in fact be replaced immediately after the summer break by Alex Albon.

“The team will use the next nine races to evaluate Alex’s performance in order to make an informed decision as to who will drive alongside Max (Verstappen) in 2020,” read a statement.

It is bitter news for 23-year-old Gasly, even though his F1 career is not over completely as he returns to Toro Rosso.

RMC Sport quoted Gasly’s manager as saying he will now “show his true value in a team he loves and with whom he has already proven himself”.

The brutality of Red Bull’s driver programme is well known, and the pressure will now be on British-born Thai rookie Albon, 23, to survive and thrive alongside the on-form Verstappen.

“It’s a big jump into the deep end, but I’ve got my swimming shorts on,” he said.

Former F1 driver and Dutch GP boss Jan Lammers told De Telegraaf newspaper that Red Bull’s decision is not surprising.

“On the one hand it’s tough for Gasly, but on the other Red Bull has repeatedly and loudly stated that he should perform better,” he said.

“All in all it’s understandable. If Red Bull wants to be world champion with Max next year, they need a driver comparable to Daniel Ricciardo,” Lammers added.

But another Dutch driver and pundit, Tom Coronel, thinks Red Bull is now risking the early career of the promising rookie Albon.

“I would have taken Kvyat,” he said. “He’s like Nico Hulkenberg or Kevin Magnussen: good, fast, experienced. And with nothing to lose.

“But this puts so much pressure on Albon. Perhaps they have seen something in him that I haven’t.”

As for Gasly, he must now cling to his 38-grand prix old Formula 1 career back at Toro Rosso.

“I feel for Pierre,” said former F1 driver Giedo van der Garde. “But never give up mate, get your confidence back and the flow you were in last year and I’m sure you can prove everyone wrong.”

Related News

  • 14/08/2019 Verstappen supports Red Bull’s driver decision Aug.14 (GMM) Max Verstappen has backed Red Bull's decision to axe Pierre Gasly. "Of course it's a pity for Pierre," the Dutchman told De Telegraaf newspaper. "But personally I don't […]
  • 31/07/2019 Gasly ‘too weak when fighting’ – Marko Jul.31 (GMM) Pierre Gasly is still under the microscope at Red Bull. Early season struggles for the Frenchman triggered rumours he could be ousted within his first season with the […]
  • 04/03/2019 2019 is ‘last chance’ for Kvyat – Marko Mar.4 (GMM) Dr Helmut Marko says he is very happy with Red Bull's full F1 driver lineup for 2019. Daniel Ricciardo has left for Renault, but still Marko is smiling after what he […]
  • 06/10/2016 Kvyat to secure new two-year Red Bull deal – reports Oct.6 (GMM) Daniil Kvyat looks to have secured his future in formula one. That is despite the fact the young Russian has been through the mill in 2016, after losing his place with the […]
  • 03/08/2019 Italian driver on Toro Rosso radar – report Aug.3 (GMM) A new driver has emerged on Toro Rosso's radar for 2020. Pierre Gasly has struggled at the senior Red Bull team this year, but boss Christian Horner says he is not […]
  • 15/04/2019 No more race victory target in 2019 – Horner Apr.15 (GMM) After three races in 2019, Red Bull no longer has a target for the number of race wins. Prior to the season, buoyed by the promise of the new works Red Bull-Honda pairing, […]
  • 14/03/2016 Kvyat ‘ready’ to fight for F1 title Mar.14 (GMM) Daniil Kvyat on Monday said he feels ready to fight for the world championship. The Red Bull driver's former team boss, Toro Rosso chief Franz Tost, reportedly said recently […]
  • 01/06/2015 Verstappen getting on with ‘rival’ Sainz Jun.1 (GMM) Max Verstappen says he is still getting on well with his rookie teammate. The young Toro Rosso duo, whose combined age is an amazing 37, have been making their mark on […]
  • 27/02/2015 Verstappen has seat fitting for Red Bull car Feb.27 (GMM) Max Verstappen is shaping up as a reserve driver for Red Bull's premier F1 team. The Dutch 17-year-old, whose grand prix debut this year is controversial due to his age and […]
  • 15/05/2015 Kvyat calm as pressure builds May 15 (GMM) Daniil Kvyat insists he is staying calm amid his troubled time in formula one. Before the 2015 season, the 21-year-old was a rising star of the sport, having earned […]