Apr.3 (GMM) The sex scandal has worsened further for Max Mosley, with German manufacturers BMW and Mercedes-Benz distancing themselves from the embattled FIA president.
In a joint statement distributed by the carmakers on Thursday, they slammed the revelations in the British tabloid media at the weekend as "disgraceful", even though Mosley has denied that his escapades with prostitutes did not have a Nazi element as reported.
"As a company, we strongly distance ourselves from it. This incident concerns Max Mosley both personally and as president of the FIA, the global umbrella organisation for motoring clubs.
"Its consequences therefore extend far beyond the motor sport industry. We await a response from the relevant FIA bodies," the statement read.
It is also rumoured that F1's two Japanese manufacturers, Honda and Toyota, could similarly denounce Mosley.The news from Germany coincides with revelations that the Crown Prince of Bahrain barred Mosley from attending the grand prix this weekend.
London newspaper The Times said Sheikh Salman Bin Hamad Al-Khalifa told the 67-year-old Briton in writing that he is not welcome in the kingdom at present.
"With great regret, I feel that under the current circumstances, it would be inappropriate for you to be in Bahrain at this time," the letter read.
Mosley had been due to travel to Bahrain for the F1 event and to attend a dinner hosted by the Crown Prince.