Van der Garde right to attack Sauber – Ecclestone

Oct.11 (GMM) Bernie Ecclestone says Giedo van der Garde was right to pursue Sauber in the courts earlier this year.

As the 2015 season began in Melbourne, Dutch driver van der Garde almost brought the curtains down on the Swiss team as he pressed his claim for a race seat.

And Ecclestone now backs van der Garde, who ultimately accepted a settlement.

“A deal is a deal,” the F1 supremo told the Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf some seven months later. “I work the same way myself.”

With a valid contract in hand, van der Garde fought hard for his race seat at Sauber, even though the midfield team had subsequently signed up Felipe Nasr and Marcus Ericsson.

Ecclestone said: “If someone else came later and offered more money, I would say ‘Sorry, I already have a deal’. Sauber made stupid mistakes,” he charged.

“I understand that they were in a difficult position financially, but that does not mean that you can just do anything. Do you rob a bank to survive? No you don’t.”

Ecclestone’s comments about Sauber come after the Swiss team filed a complaint with the European Commission about the sport’s unfair governance.

“To be clear,” team boss Monisha Kaltenborn said earlier at Sochi, “our complaint is against the commercial rights holder (Ecclestone).”

Related News

  • 18/03/2015 Van der Garde camp set to outline Sauber deal Mar.18 (GMM) The Giedo van der Garde camp is set to issue details of the compensation package agreed with Sauber. The battle between the Dutch driver and his backers and the struggling […]
  • 09/03/2015 Van der Garde drive would be ‘dangerous’ – Sauber Mar.9 (GMM) Sauber has argued that letting Giedo van der Garde race in Melbourne would be a safety risk. On Monday, Dutch driver van der Garde's case against the Swiss team was heard by […]
  • 17/03/2015 EUR 15 million ended van der Garde saga – reports Mar.17 (GMM) Dutch media reports on Tuesday said Bernie Ecclestone was involved in negotiations that have ended the Giedo van der Garde saga. The morning newspaper De Volkskrant refers […]
  • 12/03/2015 Sauber fights for survival in Melbourne court Mar.12 (GMM) Sauber is fighting for survival in a Melbourne court. The Swiss team has appealed a local judge's ruling that Giedo van der Garde can take his rightful place on the 2015 […]
  • 14/03/2015 Van der Garde gives up on Melbourne seat Mar.14 (GMM) Giedo van der Garde has dropped his legal action against Sauber at the Australian grand prix. The warring parties were back at court on the morning of practice and […]
  • 06/03/2015 Sauber sacked van der Garde to save 330 jobs Mar.6 (GMM) Sauber has found itself in legal trouble just one week before first practice in Melbourne. It emerged on Thursday that, with a valid contract for 2015, Giedo van der Garde is […]
  • 09/03/2015 Judge delays ruling in van der Garde case Mar.9 (GMM) A Melbourne court on Monday postponed its ruling in a case brought by Dutch driver Giedo van der Garde. The 29-year-old asked the Victorian supreme court to enforce a recent […]
  • 11/03/2015 Sauber appeals van der Garde ruling Mar.11 (GMM) Sauber is appealing a Melbourne court's ruling that Giedo van der Garde should race for the Swiss team this weekend. Earlier on Wednesday, a supreme court judge sided with […]
  • 28/03/2015 Sutil’s legal issues with Sauber ‘not resolved’ – manager Mar.28 (GMM) Adrian Sutil's legal dispute with Sauber is still ongoing. Late last year, although both the German driver as well as Giedo van der Garde had already signed contracts for […]
  • 14/04/2015 Bianchi signed Sauber contract at Suzuka – Kolles Apr.14 (GMM) Jules Bianchi might have raced a Sauber in 2015, it has emerged. The claim was made by former HRT boss Colin Kolles, as he discussed the Giedo van der Garde saga on Austrian […]