Hulkenberg no fan of closing F1 cockpit

Feb.22 (GMM) Nico Hulkenberg has admitted he is not among those who support the closing of the cockpits in formula one.

It is believed F1 is close to adopting the so-called ‘halo’ concept for 2017, to reduce the risk of head injuries.

GPDA chief Alex Wurz had said the initiative has the full support of the drivers, but Hulkenberg said: “For me it’s a personal thing, but I just think formula one cars should remain open.”

Asked if he simply doesn’t like the look of the ‘halo’, he added: “No, nothing like that. I just think that in general, open-wheel cockpits should be open.”

Hulkenberg’s view is interesting given that, in 2015, he won Le Mans with the closed-cockpit Porsche, but he explained: “That’s something else. Prototypes have always looked like that.

“Single seaters were always open and they should stay open,” the German added.

Related News

  • 30/07/2017 Mercedes not dumping F1 for Formula E – Lauda Jul.30 (GMM) Niki Lauda says there is no risk Mercedes will dump F1 in favour of the increasingly-popular all-electric series Formula E. Mercedes and Porsche made waves earlier this week […]
  • 11/05/2017 Hamilton ‘more talented than me’ – Rosberg May 11 (GMM) Nico Rosberg says he is open to becoming friends once again with Lewis Hamilton. The pair have admitted they were once childhood "best friends", but when paired at Mercedes […]
  • 23/05/2018 Abiteboul ‘convinced’ Sainz will catch up May 23 (GMM) Cyril Abiteboul says he is happy with the progress at the Renault works team. "There are ups and downs, but in general for the moment we are in line with our plan," the team […]
  • 01/03/2016 Drivers not unanimous in supporting ‘halo’ concept Mar.1 (GMM) Not every driver is on board with F1's plans to cover the cockpits. After Grand Prix Drivers' Association chief Alex Wurz declared recently that "all the drivers hope that […]
  • 23/02/2017 Zanardi not sure Ferrari ready to win Feb.23 (GMM) Alex Zanardi is not sure Ferrari is ready to ace the new regulations in 2017. Like many fans, the former F1 driver is looking forward to the reveal of the new red car, […]
  • 19/07/2019 McLaren cannot win unless F1 changes – Seidl Jul.19 (GMM) Andreas Seidl says McLaren cannot return to title-winning form unless Formula 1 changes. The German, who arrives from Porsche's Le Mans programme to be the new McLaren team […]
  • 21/06/2015 Le Mans bow for big F1 names unlikely – Hulkenberg Jun.21 (GMM) Nico Hulkenberg does not think a flood of F1 rivals will now follow him to Le Mans. Perhaps powered by his Porsche triumph last weekend, the German on Saturday defied all […]
  • 18/02/2019 Ricciardo has no problem with Magnussen Feb.18 (GMM) Daniel Ricciardo insists he has no issues with the aggressive driving of F1 rival Kevin Magnussen. Haas driver Magnussen has been regularly criticised by his rivals, with […]
  • 26/08/2015 Ferrari blocked Porsche seat for Vergne Aug.26 (GMM) Jean-Eric Vergne was offered a seat alongside Le Mans winner Nico Hulkenberg at Porsche for 2015, it has emerged. "I just had to sign the contract," said the former Toro […]
  • 24/04/2017 Kubica not ruling out ‘second F1 debut’ Apr.24 (GMM) Robert Kubica is no longer ruling out that he could return to formula one some day. The Pole's promising F1 career ended suddenly in early 2011, when he partially severed […]