Renault doesn’t need ‘big name’ driver – Vasseur

May 20 (GMM) Renault is open-minded about the composition of the driver lineup for its new works team beyond 2016, according to boss Frederic Vasseur.

Having inherited Jolyon Palmer’s contract from Lotus and then signing up Kevin Magnussen at the eleventh hour, speculation about the next Renault lineup has swirled in the F1 paddock so far this year.

But Renault has also backed Palmer and particularly Dane Magnussen, even though youngsters Sergey Sirotkin, Esteban Ocon and Nicholas Latifi are all being given chances to shine on Friday mornings.

The French marque’s former double world champion Fernando Alonso has been linked with Renault again, but Vasseur played down the likelihood of a ‘big name’ signing.

“The idea is that at some point my boss will ask me to deliver,” he smiled to Denmark’s Ekstra Bladet newspaper.

“And he does not care what the drivers’ names are.

“If you put a big name in the car, it works for you for a week but in the end it’s all about results. So you either put the best in your car or someone who could improve to become the best,” Vasseur added.

“If you look at it, we are only putting young drivers in the car. For us the most important thing is to find the world champion of 2020 or 2021, not 2006.

“I can’t remember who won in 2005 or 2006. Or 2007,” Vasseur laughed, referring not only to Alonso but also Ferrari’s Kimi Raikkonen.

So he suggested that Renault’s involvement in the 2017 ‘silly season’ will be a low-profile one.

“First, we must be able to give our drivers a proper car,” said Vasseur.

Related News

  • 15/05/2016 No ‘negative pressure’ at Renault – Magnussen May 15 (GMM) Even though three young chargers are knocking on the door, Kevin Magnussen sounds secure in his race seat at Renault. So far in 2016, the Dane and his teammate Jolyon Palmer […]
  • 14/05/2016 Magnussen quiet over Renault’s young drivers May 14 (GMM) Kevin Magnussen says he is not sure what Renault has in mind with its growing list of young test drivers. So far in 2016, Russian Sergey Sirotkin and Frenchman Esteban Ocon […]
  • 15/08/2016 No new reserve driver for Renault Aug.15 (GMM) Renault says it will not appoint an official replacement for reserve driver Esteban Ocon. Ocon has been called up to make his F1 race debut from the forthcoming Belgian […]
  • 17/08/2016 Renault getting close to 2017 driver call Aug.17 (GMM) Renault is now mere weeks from closing on its driver lineup for the 2017 season. In recent months, speculation has been building that Kevin Magnussen and Jolyon Palmer's […]
  • 08/10/2016 Renault to consider driver choice ‘next week’ – boss Oct.8 (GMM) Renault could finally be close to deciding its drivers for the 2017 season. The French works team has had a difficult first year after taking over Lotus, with technical boss […]
  • 03/05/2016 Now Ocon adds to pressure on Palmer May 3 (GMM) The pressure on Jolyon Palmer will stay high in Barcelona next weekend. After new Friday tester Sergey Sirotkin outpaced Renault's rookie British regular at Sochi, it will be […]
  • 07/05/2016 Renault ‘happy’ with Palmer – boss May 7 (GMM) Renault has dismissed speculation Jolyon Palmer is in danger of losing his race seat. In the same week that Red Bull demoted Daniil Kvyat, rumours continued to circulate that […]
  • 05/05/2016 Renault seeks champion driver of 2020 – Vasseur May 5 (GMM) Frederic Vasseur says Renault is looking to re-create its glory of the past by building towards success with a promising new driver. The French carmaker returned to full […]
  • 02/07/2016 Magnussen confident he will stay at Renault Jul.2 (GMM) Kevin Magnussen said he is feeling "no stress" over his future in F1. The Dane has been arguing that Renault should give up on its uncompetitive 2016 car in order to focus […]
  • 15/05/2016 No Friday outings for Vandoorne – Boullier May 15 (GMM) McLaren-Honda team boss Eric Boullier says there are no plans for Stoffel Vandoorne to be given Friday morning outings in 2016. Another works team, Renault, is giving Sergey […]