Montreal working on 2017 race fix

Oct.3 (GMM) Moves are afoot to secure Montreal’s place on the 2017 F1 calendar.

The FIA published a race schedule for next year recently and the Canadian grand prix was marked only as subject to confirmation.

Indeed, tickets are yet to go on sale for the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve race, and promoter Octane admitted that “negotiations” with Bernie Ecclestone are taking place.

Now, the Quebec newspaper La Presse claims that the City of Montreal could be to the rescue, with the problem being a delay in planned renovations to the circuit’s ageing paddock.

The report said the City is set to inject $4 million into the delayed and over-budget project, which is now set to be complete by 2019.

“In return,” La Presse said, “the City is negotiating with F1 to extend the Canadian grand prix by five years, from 2025-2029.

“The City of Montreal and F1 have agreed to this solution in principle, but the documents have not been formally signed,” the newspaper added.

Officially, however, Montreal mayor Denis Coderre is not commenting, as his office insisted it “does not comment on discussions on this issue”.

But Coderre “is confident that Montreal will be included on the official calendar,” his office added.

Related News

  • 15/04/2016 Ecclestone eyeing new partners for Canada GP Apr.15 (GMM) Bernie Ecclestone is getting involved in finding new investors for Montreal's Canadian grand prix, according to a report in La Presse newspaper. The report said the F1 […]
  • 09/12/2015 Canada GP promoter admits late to pay suppliers Dec.9 (GMM) The promoter of the popular Canadian grand prix has fallen behind in payments to suppliers, according to the Quebec newspaper La Presse. "It's true. I confirm it," said […]
  • 29/12/2015 Time ‘tight’ to deliver new pits for Canada GP Dec.29 (GMM) The City of Montreal has acknowledged that time is tight to deliver the promised new pit and paddock complex for the Canadian grand prix. The race at the Circuit Gilles […]
  • 13/06/2016 Mayor working to secure Montreal’s F1 future Jun.13 (GMM) Montreal mayor Denis Coderre says the city will move to secure the future of the Canadian grand prix. At the weekend, F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone cast doubt on the future […]
  • 23/11/2016 Canada secures place on 2017 calendar Nov.23 (GMM) Canada looks to have secured its place on the 2017 calendar. Until now, the popular Montreal race had been in doubt over delayed circuit improvement promises. But the […]
  • 02/06/2015 Canada GP partly for sale – report Jun.2 (GMM) The Canadian grand prix is partly for sale, the Montreal daily La Presse reports. The newspaper said promoter Francois Dumontier, with a new ten-year race contract with […]
  • 29/09/2016 Three ‘provisional’ races on 2017 calendar Sep.29 (GMM) Three of the 21 grands prix scheduled for 2017 have been given only provisional status on the newly-published race calendar. On the whole, there are few surprises and no new […]
  • 09/06/2017 F1 set to confirm 2029 Montreal contract Jun.9 (GMM) Montreal's Circuit Gilles Villeneuve has secured its place on the F1 calendar long into the future. There was already a contract in place until 2025, but La Presse newspaper […]
  • 07/11/2016 Stroll helps embattled Canada GP – promoter Nov.7 (GMM) Lance Stroll is a timely shot of good news for the embattled Canadian grand prix. That is the view of Montreal race promoter Francois Dumontier, who is currently in talks […]
  • 12/06/2016 Haryanto may stop Muslim fasting for race day Jun.12 (GMM) Rio Haryanto's religious beliefs may need to take a back seat to safety in the Canadian grand prix on Sunday. The Indonesian rookie is a strict Muslim, and therefore […]