Wehrlein eyes Hulkenberg’s Force India seat

Oct.7 (GMM) Pascal Wehrlein has moved into pole position to race up the grid next year, should Nico Hulkenberg leave Force India.

According to rumours, German Hulkenberg is now a hot candidate to join the works Renault team for 2017, as Carlos Sainz’s chances seem to fade.

Red Bull team boss Christian Horner said on Friday that he thinks Renault has in fact “given up” trying to get Sainz out of his current Toro Rosso seat.

So if Hulkenberg goes – amid speculation he is also linked with Haas – there will be a seat free at Force India, whose engine supplier is Mercedes.

Mercedes’ top young talent is German Wehrlein, whose current Manor drive is funded by the German giant.

The 21-year-old admitted at Sepang that there are options for his 2017 whereabouts.

“Mercedes will do the talks for me,” Wehrlein is quoted by DPA news agency.

“If there are several options, we will decide together.”

He denied, however, that what Hulkenberg now does is the key to his next move.

“The contracts of other drivers interests me much less than my own,” said Wehrlein.

Related News

  • 17/01/2017 ‘Angry’ Sainz also ‘patient’ for future Jan.17 (GMM) Carlos Sainz has admitted he is "angry" but also "patient", as his career stalls for now at Toro Rosso. Actually, the Spaniard had a very good 2016 season, but it was his […]
  • 13/09/2017 Kubica eyeing F1 options beyond Renault Sep.13 (GMM) Robert Kubica is exploring his options at other teams for 2018. The news comes amid widespread reports the French works team Renault is set to pair current Toro Rosso driver […]
  • 18/06/2016 Red Bull recommends Buemi for Renault seat Jun.18 (GMM) Sebastien Buemi would make an ideal new race driver for the works Renault team. That is the view of Red Bull team boss Christian Horner, just as the Swiss newspaper Blick […]
  • 21/09/2017 Sainz can race for Red Bull in 2019 – report Sep.21 (GMM) Carlos Sainz could wind up at Red Bull's senior F1 team in 2019. It is already known that the Spaniard will move from the energy drink company's junior team, Toro Rosso, to […]
  • 17/07/2017 Red Bull to consider Sainz release – Horner Jul.17 (GMM) Red Bull chiefs and Carlos Sainz have hit back at suggestions the Spanish driver will switch to Renault ahead of the forthcoming Hungarian GP. It is claimed Renault wants to […]
  • 09/11/2017 Sainz fends off 2019 Red Bull switch rumours Nov.9 (GMM) Carlos Sainz has batted away rumours his stay at Renault could be fleeting. The Spaniard has moved from the Red Bull family to the works Renault team, as part of the complex […]
  • 21/06/2017 McLaren eyeing Sainz as 2018 ‘plan B’ – report Jun.21 (GMM) McLaren is lining up Carlos Sainz as a 'plan B' in the event Fernando Alonso quits the team after 2017. That is the claim of Josep Viaplana, the F1 correspondent for the […]
  • 19/04/2017 Red Bull not letting Sainz go – Horner Apr.19 (GMM) Christian Horner says Red Bull does not intend to release Carlos Sainz from his contract. Last year, the impressive Toro Rosso driver was linked with a move to Renault, but […]
  • 20/06/2016 Sainz waiting for Red Bull’s decision on future Jun.20 (GMM) Carlos Sainz looks set to stay at Toro Rosso for a third consecutive season in 2017. Amid rumours of interest from Ferrari and Renault, it is believed Red Bull has decided […]
  • 08/07/2017 Sainz hits back after Red Bull rebuke Jul.8 (GMM) Carlos Sainz says he will talk to Helmut Marko, Christian Horner and Franz Tost, after being slammed by his Red Bull bosses in Austria. Earlier, amid rumours he has been […]