Gasly made too many mistakes – Marko

Nov.7 (GMM) Pierre Gasly’s failure to win the GP2 championship partly explains his failure to break into F1 for 2017.

That is the hint of Dr Helmut Marko, the architect of Red Bull’s F1 driver programme who recently decided to keep Daniil Kvyat alongside Carlos Sainz at the junior team Toro Rosso for another year.

Asked if Toro Rosso’s unusually experienced lineup for 2017 demonstrates that there is not enough young talent pushing through, Marko agrees: “I don’t know if it’s a coincidence or a trend.

“But the more you look down in the lower categories, the sadder it becomes,” he told Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport.

So for now, Toro Rosso has Kvyat, who is awaiting a second chance to be promoted to Red Bull Racing, and Sainz, who arguably now deserves his first.

But Marko said the pair should not give up on their chances.

“Motor sport is dangerous,” he said.

“I don’t hope for it, but something can always happen in terms of illness or something like what happened with Alonso in testing. So if this happens, we want to have good reserves, and we have that at Toro Rosso.

“The other reason is that Toro Rosso will also have the Renault engine next year, so it will be a good car. So we want to have two top drivers.”

As for French 20-year-old Gasly, who has hit out at Red Bull’s decision to overlook him for now, Marko said: “Gasly is young. He can still wait.

“It’s not a mistake if he doesn’t come up yet. Additionally, he could have had the title in GP2 three times if he had made fewer mistakes,” he added.

Related News

  • 13/04/2019 Gasly struggle could benefit Kvyat – Petrov Apr.13 (GMM) Another former driver thinks Pierre Gasly is at risk of being demoted at Red Bull. After a difficult start for former Toro Rosso driver Gasly in 2019, Jacques Villeneuve […]
  • 26/09/2016 Kvyat says ‘no plan B’ amid Gasly rumours Sep.26 (GMM) Daniil Kvyat has admitted he has no 'plan B' for his career. The Russian has had a rollercoaster of an F1 career so far: a debut for Toro Rosso at a young age, a speedy […]
  • 07/08/2018 Marko denies Verstappen vetoed Sainz Aug.7 (GMM) Dr Helmut Marko has denied that Max Verstappen vetoed Red Bull's top driver choice for 2019. Red Bull is considering which driver should replace the Renault-bound Daniel […]
  • 26/07/2016 Kvyat set for Red Bull split – report Jul.26 (GMM) Red Bull does not intend to renew its contract with Toro Rosso driver Daniil Kvyat for 2017. That is the claim of the Russian news agency Izvestia, citing the information of […]
  • 23/06/2016 Marko says Kvyat could stay at Toro Rosso Jun.23 (GMM) Dr Helmut Marko has suggested Daniil Kvyat stands a strong chance of keeping his place at Toro Rosso beyond the end of 2016. After the 22-year-old Russian was dropped from […]
  • 30/05/2016 Sainz’s ‘chance will come’ – Marko May 30 (GMM) While Daniil Kvyat's place in the Red Bull programme might be in tatters, Carlos Sainz remains on track. That is the view of Dr Helmut Marko, the architect of Red Bull's […]
  • 25/08/2017 Sainz welcomes James Key re-signing Aug.25 (GMM) Carlos Sainz says the re-signing of technical boss James Key is good news for Toro Rosso. "I have always said that James is very important for Toro Rosso," said the […]
  • 01/09/2016 Marko denies Gasly to oust Kvyat Sep.1 (GMM) Dr Helmut Marko has slammed rumours Pierre Gasly is on the cusp of beginning his F1 adventure. The 20-year-old Frenchman is next in line in Red Bull's young driver programme, […]
  • 22/01/2019 Gasly ‘not the number 2 driver’ – Marko Jan.22 (GMM) Dr Helmut Marko has allayed Pierre Gasly's fears that he might be Red Bull's 'number 2' driver in 2019. Gasly has been promoted from the junior team Toro Rosso to replace […]
  • 08/07/2017 Sainz hits back after Red Bull rebuke Jul.8 (GMM) Carlos Sainz says he will talk to Helmut Marko, Christian Horner and Franz Tost, after being slammed by his Red Bull bosses in Austria. Earlier, amid rumours he has been […]