McLaren considering ‘all scenarios’ regarding Honda

Jun.10 (GMM) McLaren is considering “all possible scenarios” amid rumours the British team is on the cusp of dumping works engine partner Honda.

Team executive Zak Brown this week gave an explosive interview indicating McLaren’s patience is up, while boss Eric Boullier questioned Honda’s “commitment”.

Asked how he responds, Honda F1 chief Yusuke Hasegawa said in Montreal: “I don’t respond.

“It is very difficult but it is very unfortunate that we can’t convince them that we can do that,” said the Japanese, when told that McLaren seem to have lost faith that Honda can turn it around.

Also in the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve paddock, Brown said Honda not delivering on a pledge to upgrade its engine by Canada had left McLaren more than disappointed.

“This is not acceptable,” he said.

“We cannot allow a repeat of this in 2018. In preparing for next season, we need a guarantee that we are able to achieve better results.

“Our company’s executive committee believes McLaren’s interests are paramount, and it is clear that we can no longer remain uncompetitive.

“We have already said that we consider all possible scenarios, but there is no need to make any decisions today. But I think we can say that it should be taken around the summer break,” Brown added.

Previously, former team supremo Ron Dennis said McLaren can only win a title in works collaboration with a carmaker, but Brown says he has a different view.

When asked about the fact that Honda actually sponsors McLaren, while switching to Mercedes or Renault will mean a bill for the team, Brown said: “It is a commercial decision.

“No matter how good the deal is with Honda, eventually we begin to incur serious financial losses in the form of not getting the (F1) payments. And we have lost several sponsors that moved on to other teams,” he added.

“Clearly McLaren is upset and Honda is upset, but in this situation you need to be open and honest,” said Brown. “We cannot continue to insist that everything is fine.”

Related News

  • 13/06/2017 ‘No information’ about Honda upgrade – Alonso Jun.13 (GMM) Rumours are growing by the day that the works McLaren-Honda partnership is now definitely doomed. It seems the final straw for the British team was Montreal, where Honda […]
  • 16/06/2017 ‘Zero tension’ with Alonso – Zak Brown Jun.16 (GMM) Amid the McLaren-Honda crisis, boss Zak Brown insists there is "zero tension" between the great British team and Fernando Alonso. Even with McLaren rumoured to be splitting […]
  • 28/06/2018 Red Bull will remain strong with Honda – Alonso Jun.28 (GMM) Fernando Alonso says Red Bull will remain a strong team even after switching to Honda power. Alonso had a bad experience with works Honda engines with McLaren between 2015 […]
  • 04/06/2018 Honda tipped to make 40hp step in Canada Jun.4 (GMM) Honda will take "a considerable step" this weekend in Canada. Like most of the engine manufacturers, the Japanese carmaker will bring an updated 'power unit' specification to […]
  • 09/04/2017 No engine improvement date set – Honda Apr.9 (GMM) Honda is still not promising when it will be able to substantially fix its badly struggling 2017 engine. As it emerges McLaren boss Eric Boullier met with Mercedes' Andy […]
  • 19/05/2016 Honda not confirming Canada upgrade yet May 19 (GMM) Honda's Yusuke Hasegawa has played down growing reports that McLaren will get a highly-anticipated engine upgrade in Montreal next month. "It doesn't necessarily have to be […]
  • 01/03/2017 Canada GP secure through 2029 – promoter Mar.1 (GMM) Canada's place on the F1 calendar for the next 13 years is secure. That is despite the fact that, mere months ago, the 2017 edition of the popular Montreal race at the […]
  • 04/06/2015 Honda still targeting podium in 2015 Jun.4 (GMM) Honda still has its sights on the podium in 2015. After a highly unreliable and uncompetitive start, the new works collaboration with McLaren netted its first points last […]
  • 27/05/2015 McLaren-Honda planning big mid-season upgrades May 27 (GMM) McLaren is preparing a big upgrade package for June's Austrian grand prix. After only missing points in Monaco due to another reliability problem, Fernando Alonso said he is […]
  • 08/06/2015 McLaren offers ‘more resources’ to help Honda Jun.8 (GMM) McLaren has offered to help works engine partner Honda to end the current crisis before it becomes "embarrassing". Team figures have put a brave and united face on the […]