Sainz ‘sure’ Renault will improve 2017 engine

Jun.12 (GMM) Carlos Sainz has responded to claims Renault will no longer update its engine in 2017.

Paddock rumblings in Montreal suggested that amid pressure from customers Red Bull and Toro Rosso, Renault was struggling to deliver a scheduled mid-season upgrade for its turbo V6.

But it is now reported Renault boss Cyril Abiteboul has informed that the next major engine upgrade will in fact not be until 2018.

Asked about that, Toro Rosso driver Carlos Sainz said in Montreal: “We expect updates from Renault.

“We are not putting pressure on them, because we know that nothing good will come of that.

“We are partners, and we will wait as long as necessary. But I am sure they will find a way to increase the efficiency of the engine,” the Spaniard added.

Related News

  • 25/05/2017 Toro Rosso drivers want Renault ‘progress’ May 25 (GMM) Renault powered drivers are calling on the French marque to improve its 2017 engine. Some tension is creeping back into the Red Bull-Renault partnership, with Renault taking […]
  • 26/01/2015 Renault wants to halve gap to Mercedes in 2015 Jan.26 (GMM) Boss Cyril Abiteboul has admitted Renault was about 60 horse power down on dominant 2014 title winners Mercedes last year. "We estimate the gap between our engine and that […]
  • 13/04/2019 Sainz urges Renault to improve reliability Apr.13 (GMM) Carlos Sainz has backed Renault's efforts to improve the reliability of its power unit. Renault, supplying engines not just to its own works team but also customer McLaren, […]
  • 24/04/2015 Sainz believes he can beat ‘new Senna’ Verstappen Apr.24 (GMM) Carlos Sainz is confident he can hold his own against his highly-rated teammate Max Verstappen. The pair both made their debuts for Toro Rosso this year, but it is only the […]
  • 27/09/2016 Tost plays down Sainz to Renault rumours Sep.27 (GMM) Toro Rosso chief Franz Tost does not believe the Faenza based team will lose Carlos Sainz. Spaniard Sainz has already denied persistent rumours that he could be the subject […]
  • 17/07/2017 Red Bull to consider Sainz release – Horner Jul.17 (GMM) Red Bull chiefs and Carlos Sainz have hit back at suggestions the Spanish driver will switch to Renault ahead of the forthcoming Hungarian GP. It is claimed Renault wants to […]
  • 27/06/2017 Renault still interested in Sainz Jun.27 (GMM) Renault has admitted it still has "an eye" on Carlos Sainz. Last year, the French works team made a move for the young Spaniard, but found him securely under contract to […]
  • 10/05/2015 Red Bull crisis deepens in Barcelona May 10 (GMM) Renault has turned down the performance of its troubled 'power unit' as it stands on the cusp of an embarrassing run of F1 grid penalties. Drivers powered by the French […]
  • 20/06/2018 Toro Rosso to keep ‘works’ Honda status Jun.20 (GMM) Toro Rosso will not lose its works status now that senior team Red Bull has signed up to also be powered by Honda engines from 2019. That is the news from Honda's F1 general […]
  • 13/12/2017 Reliability first goal for 2018 – Abiteboul Dec.13 (GMM) Cyril Abiteboul says Renault's first priority for 2018 is reliability. Although Red Bull won three races this year, a late season reliability crisis saw tensions spill over […]