I sincerely apologise for not being able to publish my normal review of
Monza or preview of the upcoming Indianapolis Grand Prix. I am totally
snowed under by my day job. Things should return to normal before the next
Here is a brief synopsis of what I intended to include in both:
The Italian race:
- It was hard to judge the relative performance of Ferrari and
Williams as they were on different pit strategies but I still feel
that they were very evenly matched.
- Both Schumacher brothers were not trying as hard as I expected.
Almost as if they were protesting. I found it hard to blame them.
- McLaren are off the pace.
The USA race:
- I do not expect McLaren to feature as they seem to lack the speed to
take on this circuit. The race will be between Williams and Ferrari.
- Ferrari may be better suited to this track as half of it is almost
as slow as Monaco, half possibly even faster than Monza.
- Aerodynamic set up will be crucial. Too much downforce and the cars
will be slow on the very fast straights, too little and they will not
be nimble in the slow section.
- Overtaking will be restricted to the long, fast straights. Providing
that aerodynamics are set up appropriately, it should be easy to get
- Teams like Arrows or even Benetton may opt for very low downforce,
which will make them hard to overtake.
- Top speeds could be very high depending on the setup - 340 K/mH or more.
- Providing he is motivated, my money is on Michael Schumacher - but
he may let Barrichello through if he is in second.
Previous Heretic Issues
The Heretic's Season Preview
Agree or disagree ?
Please submit any comments you have on this commentary below
Your comments and the Heretic's reply could be published on NewsOnF1.
Back to Top