Alonso first in line for Hamilton’s seat – Wolff

Jan.2 (GMM) Fernando Alonso is at the top of Mercedes’ list, should Lewis Hamilton not stay with the dominant German team beyond this year.

That is the admission of team boss Toto Wolff, in comments that might be interpreted as a ‘hurry up’ to F1’s new reigning world champion.

Briton Hamilton’s Mercedes deal runs out at the end of 2015, and Wolff had said recently that he wanted to renew it as soon as possible.

But whilst holidaying in the Austrian ski town of Kitzbuhel, he has now told Italy’s La Gazzetta dello Sport: “There’s no hurry. We will talk about it during the year.

“I am optimistic,” said Wolff. “The priority is to continue with these drivers.

“But if that’s not possible, Alonso is the first alternative. Then there’s Bottas.”

With Hamilton and Nico Rosberg under firm contract for 2015, Spaniard Alonso rejoined the newly works Honda-powered McLaren team for this year after leaving Ferrari.

But there has been speculation the McLaren deal includes an exit clause that could see Alonso jump to Mercedes for 2016 should a vacancy arise.

Speaking about Alonso’s McLaren move, Wolff said: “He is dangerous in any car. If he has a car in his hands that is capable of being sixth, he takes it to third.”

Related News

  • 05/12/2016 Mercedes ‘not ruling out’ Alonso for 2017 seat Dec.5 (GMM) Fernando Alonso and Mercedes have played down rumours linking the Spanish driver with Nico Rosberg's newly-vacant 2017 seat. Team boss Toto Wolff has made a point of saying […]
  • 02/02/2015 Hamilton, Dennis say Alonso not Mercedes-bound Feb.2 (GMM) Lewis Hamilton and Ron Dennis have dismissed speculation Fernando Alonso could be planning to spoil their respective plans. While Nico Rosberg pounded around Jerez on Sunday […]
  • 09/04/2017 Hamilton doesn’t want Alonso as teammate Apr.9 (GMM) Lewis Hamilton has given a strong sign that he doesn't want to share a garage with Fernando Alonso. Actually, the pair were teammates when Hamilton was a rookie and Alonso […]
  • 12/01/2015 Mercedes to offer Hamilton new three-year deal – report Jan.12 (GMM) Mercedes is positioning to keep world champion Lewis Hamilton well beyond the 2015 season. Talks over the Briton's expiring contract were scheduled towards the end and then […]
  • 29/03/2017 McLaren contract stopped Alonso talks – Wolff Mar.29 (GMM) Toto Wolff says it was mainly a contractual issue that halted negotiations between Mercedes and Fernando Alonso ahead of the 2017 season. With McLaren-Honda now deep in […]
  • 27/02/2017 Mercedes wanted ‘a Bottas or a Wehrlein’ – Alonso Feb.27 (GMM) Fernando Alonso has finally confirmed reports Mercedes expressed interest in signing him up for 2017. Ultimately, the German team replaced the suddenly-retired Nico Rosberg […]
  • 03/03/2016 Wolff plays down Alonso driver swap claims Mar.3 (GMM) Toto Wolff has played down reports Fernando Alonso almost replaced reigning champion Lewis Hamilton at Mercedes last year. Alonso had made the claims on Spanish radio, […]
  • 07/12/2016 Wolff wanted midfield team for Wehrlein in 2017 Dec.7 (GMM) Toto Wolff says it would be better if Pascal Wehrlein got another "year or two" to develop at a midfield team before stepping up at Mercedes. The German camp is currently […]
  • 08/12/2016 Mercedes’ Costa backs Wehrlein to replace Rosberg Dec.8 (GMM) Mercedes' engineering chief Aldo Costa has named in-house junior Pascal Wehrlein as a good candidate to replace retiring world champion Nico Rosberg. Having digested […]
  • 21/03/2017 Rosberg-Hamilton relationship ‘negative’ – Wolff Mar.21 (GMM) The intense relationship between Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg had become "negative" for Mercedes. That is the claim of Toto Wolff, as he puts a positive spin on the […]