Renault plays down fifth engine penalties

Jun.12 (GMM) Renault has played down the impact of the ten-place grid penalties now being served by its F1 customers.

The penalties are due to the sport’s long-life engine rules, this year limiting each driver to just four ‘power units’ for the entire 19-race calendar.

With dire reliability trouble, the Renault-powered cars burned through their allocations within the first third of 2015, and Toro Rosso’s Max Verstappen was the first to serve penalties for installing a fifth engine in Canada.

Now, Red Bull’s Christian Horner has admitted that, for the same reason, Daniel Ricciardo and Daniil Kvyat look set to start the team’s home race in Austria next weekend at the back of the grid.

Nonetheless, Renault’s F1 chief Cyril Abiteboul is looking into the future with confidence.

He said the French marque is finally on top of its reliability problems, so now it will be “back to the performance plan that we have on the shelf for the remainder of the season”.

And as for the penalties, Abiteboul said starting down the grid is not the end of the world.

“We don’t see that as something that is a huge penalty,” the Frenchman said recently.

“I know there is a lot of frustration but ten places penalty in tracks where you can overtake, basically if you have a car out of place at the start you can quite easily make it up during the race.

“So I’m sorry for my customer teams, but I don’t think it’s a big game changer to the championship,” said Abiteboul.

Indeed, Verstappen seemed to demonstrate that in Canada, where he served multiple penalties.

He arrived in Montreal with a five-place demotion for his Monaco crash, and as he could not drop the full ten places down for the fifth engine, he served a further 10-second penalty in the race.

But Verstappen ultimately finished only three places behind his teammate Carlos Sainz.

“Max did a very good race,” said team boss Franz Tost, “because, despite all of his penalties, he was still able to catch up.”

Related News

  • 21/09/2017 Sainz can race for Red Bull in 2019 – report Sep.21 (GMM) Carlos Sainz could wind up at Red Bull's senior F1 team in 2019. It is already known that the Spaniard will move from the energy drink company's junior team, Toro Rosso, to […]
  • 02/10/2015 Sainz hopes Red Bull engine crisis over ‘soon’ Oct.2 (GMM) Carlos Sainz has admitted to some nervousness about Red Bull's F1 crisis. The energy drink company has threatened to pull both of its teams out of the sport because, as […]
  • 10/07/2017 Horner tips Red Bull to keep Kvyat Jul.10 (GMM) Daniil Kvyat is on track to stay at Toro Rosso in 2018. That is the view of Red Bull Racing boss Christian Horner, even though the Russian was criticised on all sides for […]
  • 07/05/2015 Second chance likely for struggling Kvyat May 7 (GMM) Daniil Kvyat looks set to be given a second chance to shine at Red Bull. After his meteoric debut at the mere age of 19 for the junior team Toro Rosso last year, the […]
  • 11/10/2015 Rivals ‘afraid’ to help Red Bull – Horner Oct.11 (GMM) Red Bull's rivals are "afraid" to help the quadruple world champions amid an engine crisis that could drive the brand out of formula one, boss Christian Horner says. With […]
  • 09/11/2017 Sainz fends off 2019 Red Bull switch rumours Nov.9 (GMM) Carlos Sainz has batted away rumours his stay at Renault could be fleeting. The Spaniard has moved from the Red Bull family to the works Renault team, as part of the complex […]
  • 19/04/2017 Red Bull not letting Sainz go – Horner Apr.19 (GMM) Christian Horner says Red Bull does not intend to release Carlos Sainz from his contract. Last year, the impressive Toro Rosso driver was linked with a move to Renault, but […]
  • 29/11/2016 New engine deal not awkward – Horner Nov.29 (GMM) Christian Horner says Red Bull is now looking confidently into the future with engine supplier Renault. Actually, the parties fell out spectacularly last year, with only a […]
  • 14/07/2015 Horner denies eyeing Toro Rosso’s Key Jul.14 (GMM) Christian Horner insists Red Bull will not simply poach the increasingly-lauded designer James Key from the junior team Toro Rosso. It has become increasingly clear in 2015 […]
  • 17/07/2017 Verstappen says Ferrari rumours ‘positive’ Jul.17 (GMM) Max Verstappen has described rumours linking him with a move to Ferrari as "positive". Amid his reliability problems, an underpowered Renault engine and obvious outward […]