Renault taking longer to decide future – report

Aug.4 (GMM) Renault is giving itself more time to decide its future.

That is the claim of Italy’s La Gazzetta dello Sport, amid earlier reports that the French carmaker is now on the cusp of announcing its return to full works status by buying the Enstone team Lotus.

“Decision in September,” F1 chief Cyril Abiteboul was quoted as saying by the authoritative sports daily.

It has been said Renault’s final call could rock formula one, prompting divorce with the two Red Bull teams and a domino effect with regards to engine supply at other teams.

Abiteboul, however, insists: “We will honour our contract with Red Bull and Toro Rosso in 2016, as they are two fantastic and very demanding teams. Then we will evaluate the various options.

“We are working on a lot of things, including trying to make our engine more competitive. We want to make sure to take the best decision possible, reflecting a long term strategy.”

Finally, Abiteboul reassured the racing world that, whatever the final decision, “Renault will remain a major player in the motor sport world.”

Related News

  • 21/10/2015 Renault admits Red Bull may not use upgraded engine Oct.21 (GMM) Renault has admitted that Red Bull may decide against using a once highly-anticipated new specification of engine this weekend in Austin. Although the upgrade had originally […]
  • 02/04/2015 Marko says Toro Rosso sale not likely Apr.2 (GMM) Red Bull has played down reports Renault is set to buy Toro Rosso -- and leave the former world champions without an engine deal. Toro Rosso chief Franz Tost said in […]
  • 27/03/2015 Tension high as Red Bull and Renault head for divorce Mar.27 (GMM) The tension between Red Bull's Christian Horner and Renault's Cyril Abiteboul was palpable on Friday, as the warring F1 partners appeared headed for divorce. Horner said […]
  • 26/02/2015 Renault not ruling out F1 strategy changes Feb.26 (GMM) Renault has not ruled out making changes to its approach to formula one. Amid rumours of continuing discord with its partner Red Bull, and following the loss of engine […]
  • 12/11/2017 Red Bull tries to calm Toro Rosso-Renault row Nov.12 (GMM) Red Bull has stepped in to calm a spiralling dispute between its junior F1 team Toro Rosso and mutual engine supplier Renault. Franz Tost reacted furiously in Brazil when […]
  • 01/04/2015 Red Bull ends Renault row to focus on 2015 – Marko Apr.1 (GMM) Red Bull and Renault have sidelined their furious row, according to Dr Helmut Marko. After Australia, Marko and his Red Bull colleagues let loose their fury with the team's […]
  • 23/05/2015 Renault, Red Bull exit still ‘possible’ – Prost May 23 (GMM) Speculation about Renault's future in formula one continues to swirl around the paddock. Earlier in 2015, at the height of partner Red Bull's criticism and its performance […]
  • 14/03/2018 Abiteboul says F1 ‘cannot go on like this’ Mar.14 (GMM) Cyril Abiteboul thinks formula one needs to change. The Frenchman is at charge at the Renault works team, who are targeting fourth place in the constructors' championship […]
  • 23/09/2015 Red Bull pressuring Ferrari for rescue engine deal Sep.23 (GMM) Red Bull is stepping up its F1 quit threat by putting pressure on the sport's authorities, and potential supplier Ferrari. At present, the energy drink camp is in the throes […]
  • 11/11/2017 Toro Rosso may miss Abu Dhabi – report Nov.11 (GMM) Toro Rosso may have to sit out the 2017 finale in Abu Dhabi. Germany's Auto Motor und Sports reports that as the second Red Bull team hits regular problems with its […]