Red Bull to keep using controversial suspension – Marko

Jan.12 (GMM) Red Bull will continue to use a controversial suspension concept in 2017, according to Germany’s Auto Bild.

Earlier, it was reported the Mercedes-pioneered, hydraulically-networked system that mimics active suspension had been banned by the FIA, following a letter to the governing body from Ferrari.

La Gazzetta dello Sport had claimed the FIA ruled out the designs, used in 2016 by Mercedes and Red Bull, on the basis they were being used for aerodynamic effect.

But Auto Bild claims that only Ferrari’s proposed 2017 version has actually been declared illegal by the FIA,.

Red Bull official Dr Helmut Marko confirmed: “We can’t use it 100 per cent (in 2017), but we can still use it.”

When asked about the controversy, former F1 designer Gustav Brunner told Speed Week: “I do not believe it will be a big deal in Australia, as by then everyone will probably have such a system on their car.”

Related News

  • 24/03/2016 Lauda denies Mercedes still sandbagging Mar.24 (GMM) Niki Lauda has hit back at claims Mercedes is still sandbagging, one race into its 2016 championship campaign. It was rumoured the dominant champions of 2014 and 2015 held […]
  • 04/01/2017 FIA bans Mercedes concept after Ferrari letter – report Jan.4 (GMM) Ferrari has reportedly made a bold bid to catch up in 2017 by designing a new suspension system, or have the Mercedes-pioneered concept banned by the FIA. Germany's Auto Bild […]
  • 31/03/2015 Catching Mercedes ‘not possible’ – Marko Mar.31 (GMM) Dr Helmut Marko remains doubtful Red Bull can catch up in 2015. After Australia, the Red Bull official was warning the energy drink company could quit the sport unless […]
  • 26/10/2016 Verstappen needs patience to win again – Marko Oct.26 (GMM) Dr Helmut Marko has continued his criticism of F1 sensation Max Verstappen in the wake of the US grand prix. Although the 19-year-old was voted 'driver of the day' by the […]
  • 10/05/2017 Verstappen ‘cannot switch to Ferrari’ – Marko May 10 (GMM) Red Bull insists there is no risk it could lose Max Verstappen to a rival team like Ferrari before his contract runs out. Former F1 driver Martin Brundle this week said he […]
  • 16/06/2016 Ricciardo happy with Verstappen until 2018 Jun.16 (GMM) As news emerges that Red Bull's driver lineup is now set in stone for the next two years, Daniel Ricciardo says he is happy alongside F1 teen sensation Max […]
  • 22/02/2017 Big teams deserve more money – Marko Feb.22 (GMM) Bigger teams deserve more income because they give more to the sport. That is the claim of Red Bull's Dr Helmut Marko, as the European Commission considers whether to […]
  • 29/04/2017 Red Bull doubts F1 engine parity claims Apr.29 (GMM) Red Bull has questioned the FIA's conclusion that engine performance has now been basically achieved in formula one. Germany's Auto Motor und Sport reports that, after the […]
  • 11/08/2016 Drivers need a Mercedes or Red Bull to win F1 titles – Marko Aug.11 (GMM) Dr Helmut Marko thinks drivers wanting to win the 2017 world championship need to be at the wheel of a Mercedes or a Red Bull. Ferrari began this season as Mercedes' closest […]
  • 24/04/2015 Ricciardo on ‘same level’ as Vettel – Marko Apr.24 (GMM) Red Bull is happy with its current driver lineup, Dr Helmut Marko insists. The struggling team lost its quadruple world champion Sebastian Vettel to Ferrari over the winter. […]