Giovinazzi could replace Wehrlein in test

Feb.16 (GMM) Pascal Wehrlein could be set to miss the start of winter testing in less than two weeks.

That is the claim of Blick, a newspaper whose F1 correspondent Roger Benoit is famously close to the Swiss team Sauber.

Wehrlein, 22, is switching to Sauber for 2017 from Manor, but at the Race of Champions event in Miami last month, the young German suffered a rollover crash.

He is now reportedly recovering from a minor neck injury.

“The Italian Antonio Giovinazzi is having a seat fitting at Sauber,” revealed Benoit. “The Ferrari reserve driver will perhaps test in Barcelona as Wehrlein is yet to receive the green light from doctors.”

The seat fitting could also be useful for later in the season, with the Swiss newspaper claiming that 2016 GP2 runner-up Giovinazzi could drive the Sauber during some Friday practice sessions in 2017.

Related News

  • 17/02/2017 Sauber to confirm Wehrlein out for first test Feb.17 (GMM) Sauber is set to confirm that Pascal Wehrlein will sit out the start of official pre-season testing in a little over a week. With Mercedes' backing, the 22-year-old German […]
  • 07/03/2017 Wehrlein gets green light for Sauber return Mar.7 (GMM) Pascal Wehrlein has been given the green light to return to action with Sauber this week. Having switched to the Swiss team from Manor, the Mercedes junior had to sit out the […]
  • 16/01/2017 Wehrlein ‘delighted’ to join Sauber – report Jan.16 (GMM) Pascal Wehrlein has admitted he is heading to Sauber for 2017. It is yet another strong sign that Valtteri Bottas' move from Williams to Mercedes to replace new world […]
  • 06/03/2017 Giovinazzi says 2017 priority is Ferrari Mar.6 (GMM) Antonio Giovinazzi insists his priority for 2017 is his role as Ferrari's reserve driver. That is despite the fact the Italian was drafted into the Sauber driver lineup for […]
  • 25/07/2015 Merhi hoping to finish season with Manor Jul.25 (GMM) Roberto Merhi is now hoping to make it all the way to the end of the season with Manor. Until now, the Spanish rookie has been on a race-by-race deal with the struggling […]
  • 28/02/2017 Injured Wehrlein set for next doctor decision Feb.28 (GMM) A dark cloud continues to hang over injured Sauber driver Pascal Wehrlein. The young German is in Barcelona for the start of official testing, but still forbidden by doctors […]
  • 31/10/2017 Sauber decides to drop Wehrlein for 2018 – report Oct.31 (GMM) Sauber has reportedly decided to drop Pascal Wehrlein from its 2018 driver lineup. Earlier, amid rumours the Swiss team wanted to keep at least one of its existing drivers […]
  • 01/12/2016 Sauber wants to sign second driver ‘soon’ Dec.1 (GMM) Monisha Kaltenborn says Sauber would like to complete its 2017 driver lineup "as soon as possible". The Swiss team's chief headed into the last two races of this season […]
  • 10/02/2017 Sauber to decide on 2018 engine supply – report Feb.10 (GMM) Sauber could find itself in an early season tussle for its engine business early in 2017. That is the view of Roger Benoit, one of the most experienced journalists in […]
  • 06/04/2017 Perez would not give up F1 seat over ‘fitness’ Apr.6 (GMM) Sergio Perez said he feels for fellow F1 driver Pascal Wehrlein. German Wehrlein, who switched from Manor to Sauber for 2017, suffered a back injury in the winter and had to […]