Sainz’s father plays down new Renault rumours

Feb.24 (GMM) Carlos Sainz’s father has played down the revival of rumours linking the 22-year-old Spaniard with a move to the works Renault team.

Last year, Sainz was reportedly offered a drive by Renault for 2017, but Red Bull would not release him from his Toro Rosso contract.

Now, Renault has signed a prominent new Spanish sponsor, triggering rumours the French outfit still wants Sainz, now for 2018.

“Renault? I don’t even think about it — it’s a thing of the press,” Sainz’s father, the two-time former rally champion, told EFE news agency.

“It’s inappropriate to start talking about that. In his head there is nothing other than Toro Rosso and getting the most out of that car,” Carlos Sainz snr added.

“I am convinced that if Carlos does a good year again and squeezes as much from the car as possible, the opportunities will come,” he said.

“As for the rest, he should forget about it.”

Related News

  • 17/03/2017 Sainz tells son to forget Renault for now Mar.17 (GMM) Carlos Sainz's father has advised the Toro Rosso driver to forget about rumours linking him with Renault for now. It is believed the French works team made moves to sign the […]
  • 19/04/2017 Red Bull not letting Sainz go – Horner Apr.19 (GMM) Christian Horner says Red Bull does not intend to release Carlos Sainz from his contract. Last year, the impressive Toro Rosso driver was linked with a move to Renault, but […]
  • 23/02/2018 Sainz ‘excited’ for better Renault – father Feb.23 (GMM) Famous former rally champion Carlos Sainz expects his son to take a "step forward" in formula one this year. Last year, Carlos Sainz jr stepped up from the Red Bull […]
  • 10/10/2016 Red Bull blocked Renault move for Sainz – father Oct.10 (GMM) Red Bull blocked Carlos Sainz's move to Renault for 2017, according to the Spanish driver's well-known father. Sainz senior, a world rally champion, appeared on Spanish […]
  • 01/07/2016 Sainz should be happy with Toro Rosso news – Alonso Jul.1 (GMM) Fernando Alonso says his young countryman Carlos Sainz should not be disappointed he is staying at Toro Rosso for a third year in 2017. Team owner Red Bull has taken up its […]
  • 03/09/2015 Alonso ‘unhappy’ but ‘motivated’ – Sainz Sep.3 (GMM) Carlos Sainz, the Spanish rookie who claims Fernando Alonso as a mentor, says the McLaren driver and double world champion is "unhappy" in 2016. Officially, Alonso has been […]
  • 01/11/2016 Renault admits it wanted Sainz for 2017 Nov.1 (GMM) Renault has admitted for the first time that it tried and failed to secure Carlos Sainz for 2017 and beyond. It is an open paddock secret that the French works team made a […]
  • 25/11/2016 Sainz unfazed by low media profile Nov.25 (GMM) Carlos Sainz says his low profile in the international media does not bother him. Since debuting last year, the Spaniard has gained the respect of the F1 paddock but it is […]
  • 12/05/2016 Sainz not downbeat over Verstappen promotion May 12 (GMM) Carlos Sainz says he is looking on the bright side of his Toro Rosso teammate Max Verstappen's promotion to the senior Red Bull team. With Daniil Kvyat returning to the […]
  • 06/09/2017 Sainz at Toro Rosso in 2018 ‘not 100pc’ – Marko Sep.6 (GMM) Red Bull is still open to 'selling' Toro Rosso driver Carlos Sainz to another team. The energy drink company has a firm contract with the 22-year-old, but persistent rumours […]