McLaren engine switch rumours hard to believe – Sainz

Mar.20 (GMM) Carlos Sainz says he cannot imagine McLaren deciding to dump Honda and switch to customer Mercedes engine power in the near future.

Last week, the beleaguered British team did not outright deny speculation its situation is so bad it had been in contact with Mercedes about a last-minute engine switch.

“It would be an enormous thing if McLaren changed engine,” Toro Rosso driver Sainz told the Spanish press.

“I don’t know, but for me it would be an incredible thing for formula one and so I find it hard to believe.”

Sainz was asked about the McLaren-Honda situation because of his closeness to countryman and mentor Fernando Alonso, who drives for the beleaguered Anglo-Japanese collaboration.

But Sainz insisted: “I have enough things to worry about myself, but I wish him the best because if I can’t win, I want him to win.

“They have had a very hard winter, but last year they started behind us and ended up ahead,” he added.

Related News

  • 26/08/2016 Sainz impressed with McLaren progress Aug.26 (GMM) Carlos Sainz says he has been impressed with the progress being made by McLaren-Honda. After a shocking 2015, the new Anglo-Japanese collaboration has been making gradual […]
  • 03/09/2015 Alonso ‘unhappy’ but ‘motivated’ – Sainz Sep.3 (GMM) Carlos Sainz, the Spanish rookie who claims Fernando Alonso as a mentor, says the McLaren driver and double world champion is "unhappy" in 2016. Officially, Alonso has been […]
  • 26/09/2016 Honda eyes second F1 team for 2018 Sep.26 (GMM) Honda has indicated it is inching towards being ready to supply more teams with engines in formula one. Until now, McLaren has been unwilling to budge on its apparent […]
  • 24/02/2016 Alonso says Mercedes ‘stronger than ever’ Feb.24 (GMM) Fernando Alonso slammed a British journalist for having suggested that Tuesday was effectively 'D-day' in his formula one career. London's Times newspaper had published a […]
  • 08/10/2015 Coulthard thinks Alonso could quit McLaren-Honda Oct.8 (GMM) Former long-time team driver David Coulthard says he can imagine Fernando Alonso quitting McLaren at the end of the season. Spaniard Alonso backtracked after slamming Honda's […]
  • 10/07/2016 McLaren-Honda to fight Mercedes in 2017 – Alonso Jul.10 (GMM) Fernando Alonso has switched his focus to 2017, reassured that he made the right decision to build up the new McLaren-Honda project over three years. The Spaniard has been […]
  • 03/09/2016 Alonso ‘satisfied’ with Honda progress – Sainz Sep.3 (GMM) Carlos Sainz says he can sense the optimism in his friend and countryman Fernando Alonso. Sainz, who drives for Toro Rosso, says McLaren's Honda power unit has now overtaken […]
  • 05/10/2015 ‘Samurai’ Alonso will not take sabbatical – Sainz Oct.5 (GMM) Fernando Alonso says he can be misunderstood by the public. Indeed, the latest rumours about the Spaniard arose after the Japanese grand prix, where he was rebuked by […]
  • 13/05/2016 Dennis says no Honda customers before title May 13 (GMM) Ron Dennis has indicated he will not give the green light for Honda to begin supplying engines to customer teams. A new rule means engine manufacturers in F1 must be […]
  • 18/06/2015 Alonso expected to struggle in 2015 – Sainz Jun.18 (GMM) Fernando Alonso expected to struggle when he made the switch from Ferrari to McLaren-Honda for 2015. That is the claim of fellow Spaniard Carlos Sainz, the world rally […]